Monday 22 November 2021

Pony Music Library 63: "Solidarity"

I think it's about time I got the Pony Music Library series out of storage again! This entry will probably not be a huge surprise to most of you, but it's a song that's new enough that it simply didn't exist for most of the time when I was making PML posts more frequently. Indeed, I stopped doing that about when this song came out!

What? "Solidarity"

Who? PrinceWhateverer

Which? Original song

When? October 2018

Why? This song might be considered the last true major hit of the Friendship is Magic era. There's been a lot of excellent music made since then, but mostly with five-figure view counts at best. "Solidarity" has over 305k views on the original post alone, and with 696k for the hugely (and deservedly) popular multi-artist animation from the following year, it's now clocked up over a million YT views overall. (You can also download it in higher quality for £1 on Bandcamp.) This is a song for the fans, all about how even as numbers dwindled and some would "fade to distant memories", our fandom was still here and still meant so much to so many. There's a lot of heart and soul, and PrinceWhateverer's choice of melodic rock over the shoutier metallic style he sometimes uses really helps this have mass appeal. The sample of Twilight's speech from her coronation – an earlier time when some "moved on", mixes nostalgia with inspiration. To me, at least, "Solidarity" took on even more importance during the period when things were often bleak and lockdowns and restrictions meant that "Will I see you at the con?" could only have the answer, "What con?" Even then, the fandom was there for us all. I've always felt that, regardless of what other interests I have already or may acquire in future, MLP will be a part of my life forever. I'm not going anywhere, I'll die with the herd.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this was like the anthem of the last Bronycon. I can totally agree with "last great hit", and what a hit to go out on. :)

    ReplyDelete