Saturday 6 February 2021

Another con postponement: PonyCon Holland this time

NB: PonyCon Holland has no connection with UK PonyCon.

Some not unexpected news from Dutch convention PonyCon Holland yesterday: it's been postponed from its existing May weekend until 16/17 October. Whether the event will be able to go ahead then is anybody's guess, of course, but I wouldn't put a great deal of money on any full cons happening this year. I suppose that, like many people, I have a bit of a "once bitten, twice shy" mindset after the false dawn of last summer. We'll see how things go, I suppose.

One of the major problems that comes to mind is that if a convention needs a whole bunch of restrictions that basically say "Don't do anything loud or get close to others", then in my book it's not really a convention at all. It might still be an enjoyable event, but if you can't hug anybody, do silly things in the queue, burst into spontaneous song or nip down the pub for lunch with your friends, it's hard to call it a con in the true sense of the word. In short, I don't think social distancing and conventions are compatible. For as long as we need the first, I doubt we can truly have the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment