Saturday 13 February 2021

The G5 film is going straight to Netflix

This news is in Variety, so I think we can assume it's accurate. Given Hasbro's apparent determination to stick to their original autumn 2021 release date, I suppose this is anything but a surprise. Nobody has any idea right now what state cinemas will be in come the autumn, and Hasbro will doubtless have preferred the much more reliable option of a Netflix release. Whether this is also the case in the UK we'll have to wait and see, but I imagine it's likely.

Speaking personally, I do think it's a shame. I saw the 2017 movie and the first three EqG films in cinemas with friends, and it was definitely a fun experience. I'm not a big cinema-goer (cost is a major issue) but I'm sure our local meetup group would have attended a G5 movie screening. On the other hand, we never got Legend of Everfree in cinemas and that still turned out to be an entertaining film. So right now I'm still reasonably optimistic.

The Variety article also reveals a few names involved with the new movie. I've never heard of any of them, but then I'm hardly an insider where such things are concerned. If you'd said "Jayson Thiessen" to me in 2010, I wouldn't have had a clue who that was either. Right now, things like that are only of mild interest. What I really hope to see before too much longer is something visual, even if it's only a single still image.

3 comments:

  1. Do I dare get my hopes up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to, but not too far. If I hope for something exceptional, the odds are I'll be disappointed. If I hope for something fun, along the lines of the Equestria Girls films, I should have a better chance of feeling satisfied at what we get.

      Delete
  2. I expect this will be the headline for every movie releasing in 2021.

    ReplyDelete