Wednesday 27 January 2021

Ponyfic Roundup 329

Read it Later story count: 166 (+1) 

For the first time in quite some while, my RiL list actually grew this week. Even now, in 2021, people are still writing too many ponyfics that look interesting for me to keep up with. Long may that particular problem continue! For now, here are three more I've ticked off:

The Dream World Record by Impossible Numbers
The Great and Powerful Farmer by Manaphy
Sunset Shimmer Goes to The Zoo by KitsuneRisu

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 0 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

The Dream World Record by Impossible Numbers
Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash
Adventure; 3k words; Jun 2020; Everyone

Scootaloo. The greatest pony who ever rode through the streets of Equestria. The first pony to circumnavigate the world. Only... no one said WHICH world.

Just to keep everything above board, yes I did read this partly because it has its origins in this flashfic in my monthly Flashfic 150 contest forum (albeit not a competitive entry). Also because IN tends to write very good stories, though, and such proves to be the case again here. What we have here is the legend of Scootaloo, as told countless years later – the legend of her journey through the dream world and of a certain other pony who supported her all the way. Plus, although she's not tagged, Princess Twilight Sparkle is a significant presence. This is a great story for Scootaloo fans (hey, that's me!), one which will have you cheering, but it's strong enough to stand tall without that crutch – just as Scootaloo herself doesn't need to fly to be awesome. I really like the way grown-up Scoot is characterised: if you liked her in "The Washouts" you're especially likely to enjoy her here. Recommended for pretty much everyone, though. ★★★★

The Great and Powerful Farmer by Manaphy
Trixie and Cherry Jubilee
Slice of Life; 5k words; Jul 2015; Everyone

Trixie works for Cherry Jubilee to help pay for a trip to Ponyville. However, her task turns out to be much tougher than expected and then some, especially with her limited experience. Will Trixie make it out in one piece?

Now there's an unusual pair of character tags! Set a while after "Magic Duel", with all that implies for Trixie's personality at the time, it has some enjoyable dialogue between the principals. I also appreciate the way Trixie ends up teaching Cherry a lesson rather than just the other way around. On the downside, the fic exhibits Manaphy's tendency towards wordiness. Cutting some of that out would have made this story sharper, I think. A top-end two that could have been a three with a little TLC. ★★

Sunset Shimmer Goes to The Zoo by KitsuneRisu
Sunset Shimmer and Twilight
Human/Dark/Comedy; 3k words; Oct 2015; Teen

Sunset Shimmer visits the zoo Yay!

Um. Well. I'm not at all sure how to describe this, except that the author's warning to take the tags seriously is entirely needed. There's more [Dark] than [Comedy], unless you count the disconnect between the fluffy tone and the increasingly nasty events as comedic. (You could easily make a case for a [Horror] tag here.) I found this very uncomfortable reading – although it's not as explicitly gory, there's some sense of a much better written Cupcakes-style nastyfic here. Only a two for me because I found it too unsettling to laugh at and don't really have the stomach for comedy this black, but I know some will adore it for much the same reasons. If that's you, add at least one star. ★★
Next time on Ponyfic Roundup, stories reviewed should include Flutterpriest's Feathers.

6 comments:

  1. SPOILERS AHOY!

    Yeah, I really wasn't happy with how the original flashfic turned out, so the expansion was my way of rectifying that by including the details I was originally forced to drop.

    See, what I had in mind was that Scootaloo would turn out to be a legendary tall tale figure in the same vein as Paul Bunyan and John Henry of American folklore: someone who's larger than life, insanely badass, and a figure of pride.

    Although I couldn't resist going with a humanizing element by having Scootaloo fail her first attempt and still limp over the finish line her second attempt. Like, even future storytellers have a sense for the relatable among all the awesomeness.

    Hardest part was figuring out how the dream mechanics worked, and I still suspect I played them a bit too loosey-goosey at times. Roping in Twilight's involvement was pretty much essential to most of it, though I like the addition that the dream world simultaneously didn't have real-world barriers (like needing to eat and sleep) but instead demanded more psychological or spiritual grit. Ended up working as the perfect reflection of future Scootaloo.

    Speaking of whom: I had it in my mind since "Growing Up Is Hard To Do" that Scootaloo grows up to be a punk, but - and this is the crucial bit - still Scootaloo to the core. The story exaggerates what a hardened rebel badass she is, but I like the suggestion - echoed by Yourtasteinhorsesisawful in the story comments - that future Scootaloo still remained a relatable, awkward, and perhaps still slightly nervous soul, but also more mature and wiser in her marehood. I'd love to revisit that angle someday.

    I also liked writing in the narrator's voice. FanOfMostEverything compared it to a sort of "cyberpunk hobo-shaman", and while I can't vouch for anything that specific, I do like the idea that the story is being told by someone knowledgeable (or considered to be) around a campfire. Especially with "Sleepless in Ponyville" in mind.

    Overall, she was the perfect pick for a story about determination and doing the impossible - doubly so, with Rainbow as her eternal supporter in a nice role reversal. "Dream a little dream" indeed!

    SPOILERS END

    Thank you very much for the review! Another four-star result is a good result, and I'm pleased to have delivered satisfaction. Also "IN tends to write very good stories" made my day! n.n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to revisit that angle someday.

      If you ever do, I'd love to read it!

      Delete
  2. Sunset Shimmer Goes to the Zoo is great. :D I did a reading of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Sunset Shimmer Goes to the Zoo quite a while ago. My reaction back then was, "Cupcakes, but with motivation." Gave it a thumbs-up though, so that's a rough equivalent to three stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's probably worth three objectively speaking -- but since my ratings make no pretence to be objective, two seems reasonable for me. If I were less of a scaredy-pony about these things, I might well have scored it three.

      Delete