Friday 5 August 2016

Comic mini-review: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #44

IDW MLP comic no. 44, ROM cover
I have no interest in Rom, but Andy Price's cover is great anyway
I have a new favourite bit from "Stranger than Fan Fiction" – Daring Do wonders how she missed the doors thing, then Quibble goes, "I've been asking myself that ever since Book Four!" That strongly suggests that he does read the newer books, but basically only so he can find new things to complain about. It's exactly the same as the people who comment repeatedly on EQD about how the show's been rubbish since Twilicorn/since Lauren Faust left, but are still miraculously watching it now, in Season Six. :D

Okay, on to the actual comic review. I was undecided about the first issue in this arc, and was hoping that Thom Zahler, Tony Fleecs and Heather Breckel would pick up the pace this time and show us something special. Again, though, I came away with mixed feelings. I rather like the artwork, and Pinkie is reasonably fun-sinister (though I stubbornly still refuse to find clowns creepy). Fluttershy nearly works, but doesn't quite gel in her evil role. Twilight has only a tiny part after the first few pages, too, and the final reveal is frankly so-so rather than thrilling. All in all, not dreadful, but a little disappointing all the same given the plot's potential. ★★

2 comments:

  1. Actually, you can see from the signature that it's Andy Price doing the cover, not Fleecs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Even I can tell the difference between Price's and Fleecs's art styles, so that was just a derp on my part. Fixed now; thanks! :)

      Delete