Thursday 26 May 2016

Text Review Roundup: "The Saddle Row Review"

Least surprising news of the week: Titanium Dragon bestowed a "Not Recommended" on Shining Armor's Amour's Armour. I'm now 0 for 3, as our American cousins would have it. Woo-hoo! Mind you, though I confess to being a little disappointed that TD didn't like We Who with Songs Beguile and It Doesn't Matter Now, I really didn't expect anything else this time round. It still bemuses and amuses me that SAAA became popular in the first place, given that it's linguistic silliness more than an actual story. :P

Fluttershy's scary face
Be afraid. Be very afraid
It's annoyingly hard to find reviews when the episode title includes the word "review"! I hope I haven't missed any really obvious ones, but apologies if I have. There's a new reviewer on the TRR block today, so a big welcome to Thrond Media Pony Corner. Another newcomer, though possibly a one-off, is PonyLaces. As I did last week, I'll include my own review in the list in italics, so people who are only here for TRR don't have to go searching. (Also because if you can't do a bit of gratuitous self-promotion in your own blog, where can you?)

Anyway, the reaction this week from the text-based reviewers is not as ecstatic as it (mostly) was for "A Hearth's Warming Tail", but is still in positive territory:

Batbrony Reviews –  positive ("pure, unfiltered fun" but dislikes Plaid Stripes)

Derpy News – very positive (rated A-)

Louder Yay – positive ("Confalone's best episode to date")

MLEEP Reviews – mixed (rated 8/10 but "the new characters ... weren't that memorable")

MLP Fanatic – wildly positive ("a spectacular episode in every way")

PonyLaces – very positive (rated 9/10)

Ponyland News – wildly positive ("I loved it 100%")

Super Recaps – broadly positive ("one of the better episodes this season")

TheDragonWarlock – mixed (rated 6/10)

Thrond Media Pony Corner – positive ("lightweight ... but ... a lot of fun")

Unleash the Fanboy – broadly positive (rated 8/10; "epically fun ... but some of the stuff here was too unbelievable")

2 comments:

  1. We all get our share of "Not Recommended" ratings from TD. I'm happy if I get a "This wasn't a bad story, but it's not my cup of tea" out of him in the actual write up.

    I'm pretty sure I liked We Who With Songs Beguile, though. I should go back to check on that. Pretty certain I upvoted that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wish more people would be critical in their reviews. The thumbscores on Fimfiction are ridiculous -- SAAA is a story that amuses me, but +101/-2 is a bit silly. As I've said elsewhere, it's got like eBay: a 90% positive score is seen as terrible.

      Delete