![]() |
| "Hay! We need those baskets for our game!" |
S9E06: "Common Ground"
4 May 2019My original rating: ★★★
IMDb score: 7.6
The one with stats galoreThoughts: Patton Oswalt returns as Quibble Pants, but in a rather surprisingly thoughtful (all the more so given it's a Josh Haber episode) and domestic way. Oswalt's real-life wife and daughter play similar roles here. The chronology is weird: Wind Sprint's dad (whose fate is never revealed) "was a great [buckball] player", yet buckball has only been around for about ten minutes. Clear Sky is the voice of reason here, though less dull than that might make her sound. Everything's a bit predictable, but it's often sweet and generally holds the interest fairly well. Also, it's nice to have a family that isn't quite the kids-cartoon-standard nuclear one. Snips and Snails were amusing. Wind's VA is not a pro, but for once it works. I think this keeps its three.
Choice quote: Quibble Pants: "I'm not even 100% sure what bucking is."
New rating: ★★★
After this will come "She's All Yak", which I cannot say I adored the first time around. I'll try to get that done soon, because the episode after that is a different matter!

Out of season nine so far, this is the only episode that I think holds up, even to this day. It's not the most groundbreaking or deep of stories, but then, it doesn't need to be. The characters were well-chosen, the moral holds up, and it's feel-good all around. What more could you ask for?
ReplyDeleteI personally don't go as far as "only", but staying solid is an achievement in itself by this stage of the series.
DeleteFor a show that's often more about being outlandish or fantasy, this had a nice dose of feeling rather authentically real-life. It doesn't wow me, but it is very cozy.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good point; it is a change of pace in a way you don't see much (certainly by S9).
DeleteI think I agree with Zack, this clears the bar, is solid if never exemplary, and is one of the few season nine eps that are actually decent
ReplyDeleteI don't go quite as far as Zack, in that it's not the only episode so far in S9 I like. But the rest, yes.
Delete