Monday 26 August 2024

Calpain is leaving Equestria Daily

Time was when reporting something on here that had already been posted on EqD would have been pretty much pointless, but as Sethisto's article yesterday points out, the fandom is a bit more splintered than it used to be. In part, that's yet another thing to blame social media for. The decline in blogging and forums in favour of zap-zap-quick one-liners has not, I think, been a plus in general. Happily we ponyfic folk still have Fimfiction to ramble on at length in.

Anyway, yes: Calpain is leaving EqD after a very long stint. Seth will be carrying on, but inevitably the site won't be quite the same any more. It's likely to get slower in updating, at least in the longer term, and the fact that G5 just doesn't appeal on the same scale as G4 contributes to that as well. The fandom itself is, I think, still in decent health. My local meetup group is getting its largest average attendances ever, and the smallest of the three UK-based conventions expanded this year.

But even for those like me who don't regularly visit EqD any more, it's still one of the foundation stones of the MLP fandom and any noticeable change will still be noticed by a lot of people. Sure its format is out of the mainstream these days, but frankly who cares about that? As long as it's around in some capacity, I think Equestria Daily will have a place. Best wishes to Calpain in wherever he goes from here, and also to Seth in however he makes the site work in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that was... quite a thing to see. I still have EQD as a presence in my RSS feeds, mostly for the random fanfic posts, but that was actually the first full article I've read in quite some time. :C

    Also, knowing Sethisto, I have no idea how he's going to make EQD work by himself. c_c; At least he made some noise in the post about having prioritized his own health in the past. Like, that doesn't sound like much, but for him, it's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not sure anyone really knows what to expect, other than things slowing down. I'm hoping he does put his health first, especially given what you say here.

      Delete