Saturday 13 January 2024

UK PonyCon 2024 dates announced

So hot off the press that at the time of my typing this it wasn't even on the UKPC blog yet, but the official Twitter has the info and so here we go: UK PonyCon 2024 will be on:

5th and 6th October 2024, NTU Nottingham

So to absolutely nobody's surprise, the convention will be at the same venue as it has been every year (bar the enforced gap in 2020) since 2018. To be honest I doubt that will ever change now unless the venue becomes unavailable or unaffordable for the convention committee. UKPC is very much "the Nottingham convention" these days, and so it is again.

The date isn't a huge surprise either. I'm not entirely thrilled that it will once again (almost certainly) clash with the Goose Fair, since that period makes roads and transport very busy and hotels significantly more expensive than they might be at other times. Still, it's understandable: the venue is a university building that hosts many events, and I'd guess this is simply a case of the dates being available.

As is the case pretty much every year, I can't say whether I personally will be there. Until fairly recently I'd been determined to make it given it's the 20th anniversary of UKPC, but the last few months have not been good to me and so it's up in the air again. I still hope I can manage it in some form, though as prices (for everything) rise every year it's "wait and see" for now.

Still, whether I'm part of it in person or not, I hope that everyone who can will support UK PonyCon 2024. It's a very fine convention, run very well, that raises a very substantial amount of money for charity each year. (I'm not sure whether it's been confirmed that the RDA will again be the beneficiary, but I hope so.) And with today's announcement, it feels that much closer now!

No comments:

Post a Comment