Saturday 20 May 2023

Quick update on review/rating policy

I'm sure most people who use Fimfiction (which is probably most people reading this blog) have by now have seen Wanderer D's post on AI. Without going too much into the specific issues raised there or in the big comments thread (since much of it has done what big comments threads usually do...) I do want to make a clear ruling with regard to Ponyfic Roundup, seeing as that's my decision to make. So:

  • I will not review any fic published on Fimfiction that appears to break the "no AI-written fics" rule.
  • If I read and review a fic, then later discover it breaks the AI rule, its rating will be rescinded and replaced with a zero-star rating.
  • Stories you wrote to an AI-supplied prompt are still eligible. I don't see those as different from entries for a prompt-based contest.

There is one specific exemption, for Greenhorne's fic ChatGPT in Equestria: A Digital Adventure (PR 425). As you'll see from my review, I was well aware of what I was doing. [First time for everything! —Ed.] As such, although the fic itself has now gone from Fimfiction, it can keep its two-star rating.

Otherwise? If you write a story yourself, the lowest rating you can get from me is a one. If you pretend to write one when you got AI to do it, and I later find out about it, the highest rating you can get from me is a zero. Do, as they say, the maths.

Sure, I am interested in the use of AI in writing. I've posted the results of my playing around with it on here a few times, and I will doubtless do so again. But there's a place for that, and said place is not in a Fimfiction story.

Ponyfic writing is a bit like sport. To jump off a comment someone (I think Sir Mediocre) made in the Fimfiction site thread, if you turn up at the Derby on a Ducati and do the course in 45 seconds, don't try to tell me it should count because tech moves on.

I hope that's all clear! Pester me in the comments if it isn't.

8 comments:

  1. The first couple instances of AI writing, things like "I put all my fics into a Markov chain bot and here's what it output, which I have published in my sidefic anthology of general garbage" I am super okay with.

    But you see in the comments of that thread, people desperate for technology to free them from their mortal coil. People who desire results over taking the time to learn a skill. People (and this goes for AI art in general) who see art as prestigious, but can't or don't want to pay someone for it, who are jealous of artists for having abilities they don't, who want the prestige without the effort and likely want actual artists to suffer for being 'elite', i.e., 'better than them' (in their eyes). Fucking assholes.

    For the record, I will always be vehemently against anything AI related in the modern era because I had an artist friend attempt their life due to backlash over it. I hate feeling like a Luddite, but my friends are important to me, and "AI" aren't intelligent anyway, just artificial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, that's horrendous. I'm so sorry.

      On the main point, though, I suspect the battle is likely to have much the same outcome as when people fought against Autotune/pitch correction in music, or streaming as opposed to albums, or Photoshop v hand-drawn art, or even illuminated manuscripts v printed books. The side which has more money and less effort on its side will win the bulk of the market, and the other side will have to make do with a niche.

      Analogy: imagine you want a nice wood-framed armchair. You have two choices. 1) Commission a guy to select local timbers, and with lots of time, effort and skill craft them into a beautiful, unique piece. 2) Get in the car, go to IKEA and buy a flat pack. It won't have the soul or the uniqueness, but it will do a job. There's still a market for 1, but it's a pretty small one. The large majority of people people will choose 2.

      If you want a little optimism, I think fandom art specifically may fare a bit better. The link with the community of which the artist is part is personally important to most people buying pics of ponies, in a way it isn't to most people who want a still life of a bowl of fruit. Possibly it will end up like live music is now, or indeed sport, where dedicated fans are willing to pay for something that is considered obsolete in the mass market.

      Delete
    2. I can see that, yeah.

      In happier news, I know a lucky someone who just got a reading by Lotus Moon! :3

      Delete
    3. Yay for happier news! :D

      Delete
  2. I look forward to the day when the pinnacle of human technology is a robotic parrot. ;P

    To be fair, Sturgeon's Law suggests most of anything is braindead junk anyway, and you probably don't have to read much fanfiction to see it. AI makes that Sturgeon slippery slope ever more vertical. Give a monkey a banana plantation and a pie factory, and you still won't get banana pies, but you will get more banana peels and a huge amount of crap.

    I don't like or respect it much either, but I think all it'll really accomplish on the fanfic scene is to increase the amount of garbage in the margins. The spotlight will remain largely on actual works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I should be able to place the "robotic parrot" reference, if indeed it is one, but all I can think of is Polly the Tekno Parrot, and I only know about that by accident. (Someone else mentioned it and I asked about it. Thrilling stuff.)

      Delete
  3. Why everyone* is so excited about AI can be summed up in this exchange between an Uncreative Moron and an Artist/Writer:

    UM: I have a great idea for a picture/story!
    A/W: Uh... y'know, good pictures/stories involve lots and lots of ideas, not just one. Maybe you should...
    UM: Will you draw/write it for me?
    A/W: Well... money is tight right now, and the rent is due, so I suppose...
    UM: What? No, I'm not going to pay you! You should want to draw/write it because my idea is so great!
    A/W: Uhmn... no. Sorry.
    UM: Why won't anybody recognize my Obvious Genius?!
    AI: Hey, big boy...

    ----------------
    * You know who I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's a factor in plagiarizm defenses. XD

      Delete