Sunday 18 December 2022

An AI-generated story

I can't imagine I'm the only person in the fandom who's been playing around with ChatGPT recently. While it still has a lot of limitations, it is now closer to the point where I think some serious debates will need to be held about how much it should be acceptable to use it when writing stories. However much a slice of Twitter wants it to, AI in the creative arts isn't going to just stop. Sooner or later we're likely to reach a point where a blanket ban is going to be about as sensible as telling maths students they are on no account to use calculators.¹ Perhaps even more so for fanfic, where we already did not ourselves create large portions of the world and its characters.
¹ Yes, I know that did happen. That's the point

This isn't to say that "Assistant" (ChatGPT's persona) is currently capable of writing a high-quality ponyfic. It really isn't anywhere near that level, and not all of that is because the body of text it's been trained on is more than a bit shaky when it comes to more than quite superficial details of Equestrian society. (One highlight was telling me that Flurry Heart was the daughter of Twilight and Cadance...) At the moment it's an interesting toy, but it's one that keeps that interest going, at least for me, a lot longer than Eliza did all those years ago. So, just for fun, after the cut you can see what Assistant came up with for me. The title is also its own work.

My prompt: Please write a My Little Pony story in which Fluttershy and Rarity discuss a sensitive issue over a cup of tea. The two ponies are very long-standing friends and trust each other completely. Both of them are quiet conversationalists, so the conversation should have a restrained emotional tone. However, the much brasher Rainbow Dash barges into the cottage halfway through.

Trusted Talk by Assistant

Fluttershy and Rarity sat at the small table in Fluttershy's cottage, sipping on cups of steaming tea. They had been friends for many years, and trusted each other completely.

"Rarity, I wanted to talk to you about something," Fluttershy said quietly, her gentle voice barely above a whisper. "It's a sensitive issue, and I'm not sure how to approach it."

Rarity nodded, setting down her cup and giving Fluttershy her full attention. "Of course, dear. You can talk to me about anything. What's on your mind?"

Fluttershy hesitated, her eyes downcast. "It's about my work at the animal sanctuary. I love it, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. I'm not sure I can continue to care for all the animals on my own. I need some help, but I don't know how to ask for it without feeling like I'm failing."

Rarity reached out and placed a comforting hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder. "Oh, Fluttershy. You are not failing. Caring for so many animals is a difficult task, and it's perfectly understandable that you need some help. You should talk to Twilight or the other princesses. I'm sure they would be happy to help you find some assistants."

Fluttershy nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "Thank you, Rarity. Your support means so much to me."

Just as they were about to continue their conversation, the door to the cottage burst open and Rainbow Dash flew in, her usual energetic demeanor on full display.

"Hey, what's going on in here? I heard some serious chatter and thought I'd check it out." She looked at Fluttershy and Rarity, both of whom were now visibly uncomfortable with the interruption.

"Rainbow Dash, we were having a private conversation," Rarity said politely, but with a hint of annoyance.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to barge in. I just wanted to see if you guys wanted to go for a fly with me. The weather is perfect for it."

Fluttershy shook her head. "Thank you, Rainbow Dash, but we're in the middle of something right now. Perhaps another time?"

Rainbow Dash nodded, seeming to understand. "Sure thing, Fluttershy. Sorry again for interrupting. I'll catch you later." She flew out of the cottage, leaving Fluttershy and Rarity to continue their conversation in peace.

4 comments:

  1. Fun stuff! As you say, it's still very much a novelty at this point, but it's fascinating how far ai generation has come in just the last few years; this may not be much of a story, but it's both comprehensible and (fairly) consistent, which is leaps and bounds ahead of where this stuff was VERY recently.

    Alas, it still hasn't managed that truly "human" touch. For example, I can immediately tell this wasn't written by an actual fanfic author because Rarity makes it all 12 paragraphs without once saying "darling."

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does give us a "dear", at least. But other than the odd silly mistake (eg Rainbow asking Fluttershy and Rarity to go for a fly) and the bot's seemingly common trait of squishing parts of the prompt into the first paragraph or two, it shares more than the odd feature now with simple fics by inexperienced human authors. For example, this line:

      "Rainbow Dash, we were having a private conversation," Rarity said politely, but with a hint of annoyance.

      ...wouldn't look at all out of place among a whole bunch of fics I've read on Fimfiction itself. It's not going to pass whatever the fiction equivalent is of the Turing Test is just yet, but it's the closest I've seen without a doubt.

      Delete
  2. The only problem I see is that Rarity has three hooves on one foot. :/

    ReplyDelete