Monday 14 November 2022

Fics on Equestrian (de?)colonialism that aren't too American?

I'm just curious as a reader here; this isn't really something I'm planning to write about. But... has anyone here read a good fic dealing with some analogue of colonialism in a specifically Equestrian context? I ask because although I have seen one or two dealing with the subject, from memory (it was a long time ago) they dealt with the issue in a pretty American way, and as a British guy that doesn't really resonate with me so much. Besides, the Equestrian government feels a little more Commonwealth than USA.

MLP canon does not seem especially helpful here. "Over a Barrel" exists but has well-worn problems and in any case is obviously very American indeed in inspiration. The Crystal Empire's name is interesting, but for the most part it is just a name as it's basically a city-state with a bit of snowy hinterland. Slavery has existed (eg Sombra's reign), but again that's not quite what I'm after. And I definitely don't want a "Bravehoof" type of story; that's exactly the kind of "Twitter history" I'm trying to avoid.

I'm struggling a bit to get my point across, so apologies, but basically something that has space for the complexities – in real-world terms, Ireland isn't Bermuda isn't India isn't Anguilla, just because they are or were all British.¹ I'm asking a lot here, I know. It would take a very fine writer to get the tone spot on. GhostOfHeraclitus springs to mind, but I don't think he covered this and in any case he's not been around for several years now. If you do know of any fics along these lines, I'd love to hear about them!
¹Simplified I know: eg I'm aware that European colonisation in India didn't actually end when Britain departed

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, a history of the Abyssinian Meow-Meow rebellion would be kinda fun...

    ...unless you like cats, of course.

    ReplyDelete