Saturday 4 April 2020

Griffish Isles rescheduled for November

No real surprise, but the Griffish Isles convention has been forced to abandon its originally planned early May slot. According to a notice on its website, the new dates are 21/22 November. The venue remains the same – the Pyramid Hotel in central Manchester – and Guest of Honour Ian Hanlin has agreed to attend on the new date. Having criticised GI more than once for comms shortcomings in the past, I feel it only fair to commend it this time for the pretty detailed and clear statement put out here. A huge and very welcome improvement.

Of course, we all know that even November is far from certain. It's very unlikely there will be a vaccine for Covid-19 by the autumn, so pretty much all big social events are up in the air even if it's been possible for restrictions to have been loosened a bit. It would be lovely to think that GI could go ahead, but if I'm entirely honest I think the odds are somewhat against it. I would be utterly delighted to be wrong. I enjoyed the con last year, even if I could only make part of it, and it would be nice to think people (not me) could do so this year.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment