Saturday 2 February 2019

Conventions and generations

If I manage to get to UK PonyCon this year, something I hope to do but which is far from certain for a number of reasons, it's likely to be somewhere around mid-October. By that time BronyCon will have receded into history, and depending on scheduling Season 9 may have done so too. Which would probably mean that the Friendship is Magic era will have drawn to a close. Depending on what happens with Equestria Girls, we may even have reached the end of the G4 era, at least on screen.

It makes me wonder what the atmosphere might be like. I think things will be cushioned a bit by UKPC's multi-gen nature; you can't really spend much time there and still think G4 is all that counts for anything at all. Nevertheless, the majority of attendees these days are first and foremost fans of this generation, and in many cases they will never have taken any interest in anything My Little Pony before FiM came along. So it may still feel rather strange.

This isn't really leading anywhere. I just wanted to set it down, and here seemed as good a place as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment