Friday 2 March 2018

Writing, present and future

It's been really weird weather around these parts. Very fine powder snow, blowing around in the wind, is not what Britain usually gets. Nor are ice days in March. I'm quite glad that winter is finally going to start relaxing its grip by the end of the weekend. We've had quite a cold and snowy winter by our standards this time, and I am most definitely ready for spring now.

On the writing front, I did (just) manage to get chapter 4 of The Danger Within out by the end of February. It's a different experience writing this way, and not one I'd want to make a rule, but it has its moments. Not least that it's also firing up the ol' ideas'n'motivation generator again. While I don't think I'm going to get anything done for EFNW now, I do think I'll have another one-shot out fairly soon.

Also, some conversation with friends has revived my interest in writing a bit more about the burden of Fluttershy's commitment to kindness. Yes, Estee did something very good with this concept a long time ago with Five Hundred Little Murders, but I have a different story I want to tell. Fluttershy's small scene in The Book of Ended Lives is something of a starting point for what I have in mind now.

Finally, I might give a Flashfic 150 prompt a go in the next few months. The rules do allow me to submit a piece – as the person who wrote them, I made sure that they did! – though naturally I wouldn't be eligible to win. I'm very rusty with that format of ponyfic, so I'd probably struggle a bit, but when I've written flashfic in the past I've found it quite enjoyable. I'll see what I can do on that score.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it. Getting out and about has been a pain in the patooitie, or however you spell it. Least the snow looks nice.

    Well done on the writing front, by the way. While I haven't read your latest, I'd hazard a guess from personal experience that it feels good to be back in action, huh? Here's to productivity!

    That aforementioned scene in The Book of Ended Lives was a highlight, and the idea of a full story focused on that is welcome. Have fun writing it, I say.

    Lastly, good luck with the flashfic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really recommend TDW in quality terms; it's very much a block-breaker and even by my standards is rather uneven. However, you're right: it definitely does feel nice to be writing again. ("It's good to be doing anything again!" to quote whichever one of the Marleys it was.)

      Thank you. I've always wanted to write something involving that side of Fluttershy's calling, but I think it will be difficult in more ways than one. It will happen, though, even if not soon.

      And thanks again. Whether I'll manage this month, who knows, but we'll see.

      Delete