Friday 15 January 2016

Good news from BronyScot

In two years, BronyScot has established itself as an exemplar of how a small British pony convention should be run. If only I didn't live so far away, making budgeting too hard so close to UK PonyCon, I'd have been very interested in going myself. The team behind it have announced their intention to return in 2016, and that's the first bit of good news.

Next comes the announcement that BronyScot has been accepted as a full member of the European Pony Convention Union. The EPCU is an umbrella body for several pony cons across Europe, including big players such as BUCK and GalaCon. Member events agree to abide by a code of conduct and get to use the EPCU badge on their websites.

Also, BronyScot has published its 2015 financial statement. This is remarkably detailed – I can't think of many other cons which publish income and expenditure down to the last pound – and very clearly expressed. I was actually a little surprised (and impressed) to read that the con's expenses were under £5,000. Just goes to show what can be done with the right setup!

BronyScot had 220 attendees this time round (plus another 70 for the Rock Nessie concert) and that was a pleasing rise on the 187 of 2014. In my view, as someone with no vested interest in the con other than wanting it to succeed, I think it's a credit to the UK fandom and I very much hope it goes from strength to strength this year. Well done, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment