Monday 18 January 2016

Comic mini-review: Friends Forever #24: Rarity and Gilda

MLP Friends Forever comic #24 Sub cover
I actually prefer the main cover, but it was sold out!
A slight redesign for the IDW covers. I don't much like it, since I feel the creators' names are now too small, tucked away at the bottom of the page. (Edit: and "Ball" is printed as "Bell" anyway!) Anyway, an unusual pairing this time, and a reasonable comic. Jay Fosgitt's style continues to divide opinion, but I quite like it despite its liberties with pony anatomy. One thing I don't like is that Greta, who plays a minor role, looks nothing like her show design. Sorry, JF, but with canon characters you can't get away with that. Georgia Ball provides only her second My Little Pony story after the very satisfying Celestia micro back in 2013, but doesn't quite match that effort here. The story is still a reasonable read, although it is heavily based around a sport similar to American football, which bores me silly. (Only the Dash Academy webcomic has made me interested in anything similar!) It's not bad on the whole, but I'd probably only really recommend this comic to Gilda fans. ★★ (but ★★★ if you like Gilda)

Edit: For once I'm going to link to a Horse News column. It makes pretty depressing reading, and the only person who comes out of it with credit is Ball. I'll be making a fuller post about this in the near future.

5 comments:

  1. I glimpsed at this and I'm really not a fan of Fosgitt's art style (the bipedalness is fine), the way Rarity's nose was drawn in some panels, it made her look more like a pig than a pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing will ever be as bad as the Fluttershy micro's version of Rarity -- it was Tony Fleecs' first MLP comic, and boy did it show. Thank Celestia he's improved a lot since!

      Delete
  2. Yup, at least he's improved, though I'm not really a fan of his work either. I'd say the worst one is Thom Zahler's Twilight Micro, with shots like this: http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.roundstable.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/7dITroz.jpg
    https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/i/9566/37775/85ae9c1f34be169852670af7f05732dc.jpg?h=ad430e3a733b27c564de7b0203f1a243

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My least favourite is the first FF with Applejack and Pinkie. There's very little about that comic I like, writing or art.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I glimpsed at that and didn't like it. I did some silly rhyme about what happened to Marine.

      Delete