Wednesday 9 December 2015

Ponyfic Roundup 85: You Can Go Your Own Way

Would you believe it's a week since the last Ponyfic Roundup? Okay, you probably would. I'm still not in the best of shape health-wise, so it could be a little while before I get things entirely back on track here. Nevertheless, my little backlog of already-read fics allows me to present reviews of the two stories I promised you last time, plus three more. As they say on a certain TV channel of our acquaintance: let's go!

Pirates For A Day by DawnFade
Do It Mattered If I Is? by KitsuneRisu
2 + 2 = Fish by FlanChan
Tea & Crumpets by iluvponies35
Fact or Fanfiction by Tumbleweed

Pirates For A Day by DawnFade
Pipsqueak [and Dinky, obviously]
Slice of Life; 3k words; Jan–Jul 2012; Everyone
Pipsqueak and Dinky have the greatest day ever!
Another author who's no longer active, which on this evidence is a shame. This Pony Fiction Vault inductee is a lovely, sweet tale of foalhood friendship. I don't think I've ever read a story with these two as the main characters, but it works very well. Its ending is just right, and I can't really fault this. Highly recommended, especially if you've had your fill of Big Monsters or Big Issues for a bit, and proof that I do still give out five-star ratings sometimes! ★★★★★

Do It Mattered If I Is? by KitsuneRisu
Twilight and Fluttershy
Comedy/Random; 3k words; Sep 2015; Everyone
In the wake of the Canterlot Wedding, Fluttershy has to ask Twilight a very difficult question. And then things get weird.
Quite a few people consider this an absolutely hilarious take on the whole Would It Matter If I Was? (PR 75) thing. I am not one of those people. I would classify this as mildly amusing, but that's it. I don't find some of the running gags funny anyway, which doesn't help. On the plus side, I do like the ending: it may not be hugely original, but it works. It's that ending that drags this up into three-star territory. ★★★

2 + 2 = Fish by FlanChan
Twilight and Pinkie Pie
Random; 1k words; Oct 2013; Everyone
Twilight is overjoyed to find Pinkie using a calculator.
Pinkie won't let Twilight see her notes, so Twi becomes convinced that they're of immense importance. I found this in Twilight's Library (remember that?) and found it to be a very mildly funny bit of lightweight fluff. (Can you have heavyweight fluff? Someone write some and prove it!) The ending is moderately silly. ★★

Tea & Crumpets by iluvponies35
OCs
Slice of Life; 2k words; Feb 2015; Everyone
A short story about British ponies. What more is there to say?
Making OC-focused slice of life interesting is not easy, as this story unfortunately demonstrates. One bizarre technical error: "were" is written "we're" throughout. Otherwise, it's a fairly pedestrian example of the "British ponies" thing, and one that doesn't really feel very British. Largely inoffensive, and almost worth reading just for the sheer weirdness value of its penultimate paragraph. A high one-star rating, if such things are possible. ★

Fact or Fanfiction by Tumbleweed
Twilight and Rainbow Dash
Comedy/Slice of Life; 5k words; Jul 2015; Teen
When Twilight Sparkle introduces Rainbow Dash to the wide world of Daring Do fanfiction, Rainbow Dash takes it upon herself to write the BEST FANFIC EVAR. What could possibly go wrong?
Quite a lot. Obviously. That makes for a fun read – not one that does anything particularly startling or new with the general idea, but one that's enjoyable nevertheless. The meta is perhaps cranked up a little too high at times, and I could have done without a certain passing reference (you'll know when you get there), but this does get points for a hilariously shameless self-insert. Entertaining stuff. ★★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup, stories reviewed will include Aquaman's NIGEB and Horse Voice's The Savage Way.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you five-starred Pirates, so I can't be too put out about your indifference to Do It Mattered. :V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've just had my fill of the whole Would It Matter...? subgenre now. I can't see anything in it scoring any higher, at least not unless it does something really original.

      Delete