Sunday, 11 October 2026

My Little Repeats 208: "Frenemies"

A visually inventive episode in the way you can't take for granted by this point

S9E08: "Frenemies"

18 May 2019

My original rating: ★★★★★

IMDb score: 8.9

The one with straw dolls

Thoughts: IMDb ratings are even less use than usual by this point in Friendship is Magic, but there's no doubting that "Frenemies" was very well received in 2019. I was interested to see whether it held up now we know the truth about "Grogar". For the most part, I think it does, as the main storyline is about the Legion of Doom. They're all good, funny but with that edge of darkness, and they combined to provide a really great song in "Better Way to be Bad". The episode was well paced, too, with even the Rusty Bucket sections not really letting things flag. As I've noted before, in G1 it was North Star, not Gusty, who took the Bell, but that's minor here. You know what? I'm going to be generous and say this is a 4.5-star episode still. And as I don't give half stars? It's keeping that five. This may or may not be the last perfect rating I give for FiM, of course!

Choice quote: Tirek: "Welcome back, baby!"

New rating: ★★★★★

Next up will be "Sweet and Smoky", which is a Fluttershy-heavy episode and therefore extremely important. The two go together. But will it be extremely good? At some point, we shall find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment