Saturday 24 August 2019

New story by me: Raising the Baa

You know that Hello, Pinkie Pie 3D CGI thing Hasbro put out the other day? The one with a different (and uncredited!) VA voicing Pinkie? Turns out Andrea Libman didn't even know it was happening. It wasn't that she was too busy to voice the role; she wasn't asked at all. She's not happy.

Let's get on to something less dismal, shall we?

Cover pic is this free image from Clipart Library.

Raising the Baa by Loganberry
Fluttershy, Twilight and OC
Comedy/Slice of Life; 1k words; Jul 2019; Everyone
After visiting the Crystal Empire, Fluttershy brings Baabara the tiny ewe to Ponyville.
After spending a fortnight working with the Crystal Empire's fledgling petting zoo, Fluttershy has made a new friend. Baabara the tiny ewe is making a return visit and is now relaxing in Ponyville. In Twilight's castle.

This is the third and last of the stories I wrote for the FimFiction Feghoot Festival, and it's the one I'm personally happiest with. I was only able to write it at all because the contest's closing date was unexpectedly (to me, anyway) extended late in the game, but I think it turned out all right. Since it is a feghoot, I can't give away what happens, but what I will say is that this is a fic that harks back to Friendship is Magic's early days, in that Baabara is able to speak – and in Equestrian, too.

It's this fic, more than the other two feghoots I wrote, that really spurred me on to get back to writing regularly. For various reasons that didn't actually happen until about a fortnight ago, but since then I've written at least 100 words of ponyfic (sometimes considerably more) each and every day. No exceptions. I've now got two or three ideas that I think could stand being expanded into standalone fics – and, more importantly, words on screen that I can use to start with. I don't just have the ideas any more.

But back to Raising the Baa. The title doesn't work quite so well for (most) Americans as it does for (most) Brits, given that for me "bar" and "baa" are almost exact homophones. Still, that's hardly a big deal. More interestingly, perhaps, this is the first time I've written a fic featuring Twilight outside of the Custardverse since The Unbearable Lightness of Bucking – which appeared almost four years ago. I've enjoyed it, too. I really ought to write for Twilight more often. Maybe now I will.

1 comment:

  1. Baa and bar are still close enough in American pronunciation that it's clear what joke you're making.

    ReplyDelete