Wednesday 29 May 2019

Ponyfic Roundup 251

Read it Later story count: 251 (-4)

Another of those weeks when Logan didn't do any damn work have the time to read more than a few fics. Celestia knows how I'm ever going to get round to the longer stories that glare balefully at me from my RiL list. Nine Days Down has been languishing on there for ages. So has Contraptionology! And Firebird Dahlia. You get the idea. Still, something is better than nothing, right? There are three fics under the dodgy pound-shop microscope this week, and they are:

Discord's Garden by ChaoticKindness
Dat's Our Ragamuffin! by PresentPerfect
Hollow by Dustchu

★: 0 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0

Discord's Garden by ChaoticKindness
Fluttershy, Discord and Mane Six
Sad/Slice of Life; 1k words; Apr 2015; Everyone
Discord takes up gardening.
A quiet, reflective piece in which Discord cultivates six particular varieties of flower. There's no mystery as to what they represent, especially as we're told exactly what each one looks like and how it grows. At a little too much length, though I get the feeling some editing may have been done since the early Fimfiction comments. Still, the descriptions do seem to fit pretty well, and one particular variety gets a nice extra touch. The one thing I didn't see coming was the ending, though I suspect some will as it's nothing earth-shatteringly new. It is, however, emotionally punchy, or at least was to me. That shades this into the threes, despite the overwritten descriptions. ★★★

Dat's Our Ragamuffin! by PresentPerfect
Main Seven (EqG) and Other [Ragamuffin]
Equestria Girls/Romance/Comedy/Random; 5k words; Apr 2019; Teen (Profanity)
Oh, that zany Ragamuffin! What hilariously inappropriate thing will he stick in his mouth next?
This is a supremely stupid story. In each chapter, Rags turns up in a scene and bites into something. It may be good to eat or it may not. He also talks in that accent, though also tends to add "wakka wakka" because by eating everything he's apparently become Pac-Man or something. By the time we get to Twilight and Sunset, you can add lesbianism and murder to the equation. I was having fun at this point, but then "Fluttershy swears" was used as if it was still funny, after which the author revisited his interest in a literary reference (and associated mode of presentation) that I have very little interest in and it went on for ages and I just got bored. Still, up to that point it was funny-stupid. I haven't a clue what the "black star and green swash logo" mentioned earlier on is, though – anyone? Overall, a high two I guess. ★★

Hollow by Dustchu
Daring Do
Sad/Slice of Life; 1k words; Oct 2018; Teen
Daring Do comes to a realization about herself and her works.
It appears from the BMRL that I'm the first text reviewer ever to feature a Dustchu story (though it was mentioned on a podcast), which is remarkable for someone with 700+ followers and almost 50 published fics. Anyway, this is a look at Daring Do's thoughts, told in first person, as she sits at a convention desk signing books. Daring is certainly not happy with her swashbuckling life; in fact, she can feel lonely, empty – and even suicidal. (This fic should probably bear that warning tag.) This is a rather bleak story, so I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it, but Daring's emotions do ring true. A high three and recommended – if you appreciate what you're in for. ★★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: stories reviewed should include The Motion of the Stars by Carabas.

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, attention. :D

    That's the logo on his uniform! For the cruise line? :B And I guess the Navy Seals copypasta is not universally known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what the Navy Seals copypasta *is*. But then that's me. Probably 98% of the universe does.

      Delete
    2. The Cloptimist29 May 2019 at 17:37

      You'll almost certainly have seen it in the wild, even if you didn't realise it was a meme. It's a long, waffling rant by a supposed military type, full of implausible threats.

      https://www.reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/7lqds5/navy_seal/

      Question, how did your list go down by 4 when there are 3 reviews? I'm pretty new here so I apologise for not really understanding the process.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that thing. Yes, I know it. The name just didn't register.

      Question, how did your list go down by 4 when there are 3 reviews?

      This can happen for several reasons:

      1) Occasionally someone deletes a story that was on my RiL list, or even nukes their entire account. (The latter happened only a few months ago.)

      2) Every so often, I skim through my RiL list to see whether I still actually want to read everything in the queue. Occasionally I don't, perhaps because the story in question is too closely tied to a fandom event that's now passed out of most people's memories.

      3) Being me, I occasionally forget to remove a story from the RiL list even after I've read it! Once I finally notice and do so, that means another fic gone from the list without any extra reviews happening.

      Reason 2 is the most common, and it's the one that applied in this case. I read the story description and realised it did absolutely nothing for me, so I dropped it. Very occasionally I have more serious purges with 10+ stories being removed.

      My long-term aim is to have the RiL count stable at about 100, with fics being added only as I read others. I feel that 100 is high enough to give me plenty of choice from my existing stock, but low enough that everything's likely to get its day in the sun eventually.

      Delete
    4. Also, I use the word "occasionally" too much.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, the whole joke was that I copy-pasted it into Zalgo speak. The reader is meant to recognize the meme, laugh, and then move on without reading the entire thing. :P

      Delete