Thursday 5 September 2019

Text Review Roundup: "She Talks to Angel"

I haven't really got anything interesting about my life to say here, and even though that doesn't usually stop me from rabbiting on, this time let's get straight to the meat. The text-based reviewers tended to feel that "She Talks to Angel" was a decent episode, though as always there were some exceptions. The "veggie carnivores" thing didn't exercise that many people, though I moaned about it while Dark Qiviut defended it, partly on the grounds that Equestria isn't Earth.

I was bang in the middle of the pack this time, and my positive but not gushing verdict was a common one. I will, however, (ab)use my editorial position here to make it quite clear that some of us did want to see Angel again! Several reviewers stated or implied that nobody did (though I didn't quote all of them) and I wish to place it on record that an Angel episode that wasn't "Putting Your Hoof Down" has been something I've hoped to see for years. So there. :P

Cuddlepug – mixed (graded C+; "It's all nonsense, but it is entertaining nonsense all the same [...] comes across like an alternate universe slice of fan-fiction [...]  fine, I guess, and decently entertaining, but I struggle to understand quite why it exists.")

Dark Qiviut – mostly positive ("There's some to dislike [such as some of Zecora's recklessness], but a lot to like. She Talks to Angel resolves Angel's jerkiness from PYHD, intertwines the animal sanctuary quite well, and is the second-best Fluttershy episode of the show. ")

DrakeyC – very positive ("so much fun, so much humor. I can't even... [...] comedy gold [...] My only critique would be that Zecora REALLY should have told the two what her potion did [...] If this is our last Fluttershy episode (and it probably is), this is a great one to go out on.")

Dramamaster829 – mildly positive ("This episode may not be perfect as the previous episode (Such as the questionable tactic of predators doing a 'herbivore' diet), but I admit there are some fun moments like Libman's 'Angel' portrayal [...] does add some closure on this chemistry the two have had.")

JDPrime22 – positive (rated 8/10; "probably the last time we ever get to see this little rabbit. WOOHOO! [...] this episode was pretty entertaining. From the get-go, the showrunners remind why we all hate Angel.")

Louder Yay – positive (rated 3/5; "[I didn't like] the too-convenient way Fluttershy resolved the predator-prey relationship [but the ep was] funny while not descending into pure slapstick, it provided a better look at the animal sanctuary than "Fluttershy Leans In", it explored a fairly serious topic quite well, and it made a reasonable way for Fluttershy's arc to end [though] It didn't feel all that special")

Mike Cartoon Pony – positive ("one of the show’s funniest in a while [...] The protracted first act means the rest of the episode is slightly rushed [but] If [Andrea Libman's voice acting here appeals] a lot, you’re in for a real good time. Otherwise, you have a solid, funny episode, just perhaps not a keeper for the ages.")

MLEEP Reviews – positive (rated 9/10; "always great to have [Zecora] on screen [...] if you can manage to get through all of the scenes involving Angel Bunny acting like the biggest asshole in all of Equestria, you'll find that you might actually enjoy 'She Talks To Angel'")

Present Perfect – positive ("Andrea Libman gives maybe the best vocal performance of anyone in this entire show’s run [...] Angel learning about what Fluttershy does first-hand was a really strong character arc [...] Not perfect, but I much prefer episodes that are flawed in the outset than in the finale.")

SuperPinkBrony12 – fairly positive ("definitely funny, particularly when Angel is in Fluttershy's body and acting all sassy. But Angel is unbelievably selfish in this episode [...] Twilight and Spike's cameo doesn't really contribute [much] feels like they only put [Zecora] into the episode because they knew fans wanted to see her again")

The Railfan Brony – positive (rated Excellent; "Despite the stock storyline and moral, it felt quite fresh and it's all I could really ask for. As a matter of fact, Fluttershy has been the true highlight of season nine as far as I'm concerned.")

TheDragonWarlock – mixed (rated 6.5/10; "She Talks to Angel is pretty much the same thing as [A Royal Problem] really nothing new brought to the table [...and Zecora was] reduced to a mere plot point [...] the comedy portion does help liven it up a bit [...] For what it is, this episode is a serviceable enough one, but nothing that amazing.")

4 comments:

  1. Once again I couldn't have a review up given some slight delays. But I did leave at least a 'subtle' comment in regards to the episode (Seems I've been doing that a lot lately). It may not be a 'perfect' episode by any means, but for me it was fun. You can find my full comment on the review section of the site if there's room to squeeze it in the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't really a clever way to tell you that your link to MLEEP Reviews' Review is to his review of the previous episode The Summer Sun Setback, so...

    Your link to MLEEP Reviews' Review is to his review of the previous episode The Summer Sun Setback.

    Yeah, I don't suppose I've ever really understood the Angel hate. He's had his asshole-ish moments throughout the series, to be sure, but there's enough showing his intentions with Fluttershy are usually in the right place too. I can only suspect Putting Your Hoof Down is tipping the scale here - for me it was just one episode of seven seasons' worth I watched in two months, not nearly comparable to those back in the long-ago era of 7+ years ago that watched them as they came out new and had a week to anticipate an episode. Basically, I did not have the space or time to be personally pissed off by it. But, that's neither here nor there.

    Have to say, the consensus here is a mite lower then expected. Or maybe I just expected more people to find the gut-busting hilarious comedy as... well, gut-busting hilarious as I did. Not that people didn't find it funny, for they did, but not many to the level I found it to be. No biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link fixed; thanks! I feel I've been making a lot of those silly little mistakes recently... :S

      "Putting Your Hoof Down" was just prior to my joining the fandom, so I didn't have that week's gap -- and two episodes later came "Hurricane Fluttershy", which was so superior in just about every regard (IMO of course) that I suppose I rather forgot about the previous Fluttershy focus ep for a while.

      Delete