Friday 29 March 2019

Sounds of 2011: Number One!

Well, here we are at last. This is the song that made the top spot of Everfree Radio's 2011 Top 100. I'm honestly not sure how many people would have guessed that this would beat everything else – I certainly wouldn't. If you'd asked me to guess, I'd probably have gone for "Nightmare Night" – but that didn't quite make it and this did, so there y'go.


Yes, this is it. From Mic the Microphone's channel, here is the song that got more votes than any other. The original "Beyond Her Garden" was down at no. 53, with Silva Hound's remix at 34, but this one had popularity on another level. Why? Well... in all honesty, I don't know. Admittedly I'm not a rap fan, so I find it hard to judge the quality of the lyrics. They're quite well integrated with the original music, at least. I have a sneaking suspicion the reason for this being top may be little more than bronies of the day going, "Wow, these three guys together?!? Isn't that amazing?!? Let's vote for it!!!"

There's quite a lengthy explanation of the story behind the song in the video description, but in essence: Carrot Top has Earth Pony magic that lets her give life to barren land. She's burned as a witch but survives. Months later, outsiders who've heard of her return to "finish the job", but now the villagers are on her side. Nevertheless, Carrot Top gives herself up to prevent conflict. They really do burn her this time, but after the smoke has cleared a garden blooms in what remains of her house.

...yeah. That's the official explanation, courtesy of Mic himself. Can't say it exactly appeals to me, but oh well. I'm just here to report the chart as other people voted for it, and "Beyond Her Tomb" got the most support, so here it is at number one. If you want this at better-than-YouTube quality, then there's a 320k MP3 download in the video description. Oddly, there's a separate one for the lyrics; that's not something I've seen before. So we do at least end this series with something unusual.

Next time: You'll have to wait for "Sounds of 2012" for that! I will do it at some point, with a few tweaks to the format, but it won't be soon. If I remember, though, there will be another "Pony Music Library" entry before S9 gets going.

2 comments:

  1. ...A rap version of Beyond Her Garden? I'm intensely disappointed. :|

    Well, here's to 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to that, partly since I'll actually remember some of them coming out! :D

      Delete