Tuesday 5 March 2019

Griffish Isles announces Lee Tockar as Guest of Honour

Those who know me will also know that up until now I've been a little disappointed with the dearth of information from the one-day Griffish Isles convention in Manchester, given that it's now barely two months away. Conventions aren't cheap, and nor are most Manchester hotels, so for most people cons need to be a bit more than "a big meet with games" to justify the outlay.

However, yesterday there was a proper, big-ticket announcement: Lee Tockar will be GI's Guest of Honour and will host a panel on the day. As I'm sure most people know, Tockar has had several voice roles in Friendship is Magic, most notably Steven Magnet, Snips and Gummy. This is definitely a coup for the con. It's going to be hard to match the immense popularity of Elley Ray's visit last year, but I hope they can do it!

And since someone's bound to ask: I really don't know if I'll go. If the con were in Birmingham, it'd be a near-certainty. But of course it isn't. I really wish Brum got as many Pony cons as Manchester – or any at all, actually! Manchester is just close enough for me to visit for the day, thus saving on hotel bills, but the train ticket is well over £40, so realistically with con entry, food and a little merch I'd be looking at a £100+ day out.

As such, doing GI and UK PonyCon in the autumn may not be something I can justify. Since I'm not staying overnight, I can make the decision very late on – unless tickets sell out, of course! Still, none of this takes away from the fact that Griffish Isles have now got something specific and eye-catching that they can point to and say, "This. This is something you'll get if you join us in May." And that has to be applauded. Well done, GI.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's a pretty good guest to get. A pity I can't get to go as I'm on holiday time the following week, I wouldn't mind having the autograph of the guy who voiced Ravage in Beast Wars.

    ReplyDelete