Wednesday 3 April 2024

Ponyfic Roundup 484

Read it Later story count: 95 (nc)

Words read this week: 30,367

By some miracle, both Saturday and Monday of the Easter long weekend were nice days, with pleasant mildness and even a decent amount of sunshine. Actually better than the forecast, which doesn't seem to happen too often lately! Anyway, back to a world where ponies themselves can (sometimes) control the weather. After the excitement of The Silver Standard and its five shiny stars, it's back to much shorter stories in this week's Ponyfic Roundup. Here's the run-down:

Applejack's Hobby by TheLegendaryBillCipher
Covering for a Magician by Chromentazol (review requested by author)
Twilight is Annoyed by Protopony350
Maniacal by ColdGoldLazarus
Piano Lessons by gapty

★: 0 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 3 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I enjoy an average amount scores two stars.

Applejack's Hobby by TheLegendaryBillCipher
Applejack, Apple Bloom and OC

G4; Slice of Life; 4k words; Jan 2023; Everyone

Everypony has a hobby, and Applejack is no exception.

Applejack takes up model railways and learns about the hobby as she goes. That's basically the fic, so this is definitely one for slice of life fans. I get the feeling that the author knows their stuff where model railways are concerned,¹ and that helps. I do find AJ a little unimaginative at times: would she really not immediately grasp what a layout was? On the other hoof, the details of what she's doing kept me reading and it's a pleasant read all round. Probably two/three boundary, pushed just above the line for me because, well, I like trains! ★★★
¹ I'd guess "Lion Yell" is a nod to an our-world brand, but I don't know which one.
Sidenote: Those who read Ghost Mike's review of this fic knew a year ago that iisaw was working on what's now The Cadenza Prophecies!

Review requested by author
Covering for a Magician by Chromentazol
Starlight and Trixie

G4; Comedy/Drama/Mystery; 13k words; Oct 2023; Teen (Death)

During a stormy night, Starlight notices Trixie carrying a bloody, pony-shaped bag...

By the author of the enjoyable Sabot Élegant's Not So Savory Adventure (PR 461), this is a comedy of errors in which Starlight and Trixie repeatedly fail to sort out... well, what it says in the shortdesc up there. There's fun here from Glimmy's increasing unhingedness and Trixie's self-absorption, which at least give a reason why there isn't the single-line explanation from Trixie that could have avoided all the mess. Pinkie and, later on, Twilight play nice supporting roles. The story's a bit too long for what it is and the narration head-hops occasionally, though it's at least clear when that happens. There's a persistent problem with tense mismatches (eg "She was already anxious enough as it is") and the odd irritating typo ("Maude") but nothing show-stopping. I suspect the final scene will be highly divisive: I'm not a big fan as it's a little too out-of-nowhere for me. A high two, though some tightening and editing could get it over the line to a three. ★★

Twilight is Annoyed by Protopony350
Twilight, Celestia and Luna

G4; Dark/Tragedy; 2k words; Sep 2015; Teen

Twilight Sparkle experiences her entire history in a series of visions, and she finds that really annoying.

This is in fact a post-apocalyptic story. Far in the future, Twilight lives alone, after an unspecified disaster. As you read, you gradually realise just how damaged she now is as her mind cannot (can no longer?) cope with what has happened. We're never told directly what that is, but there are dots you can join and I think they do create a picture of what happened – and how that ties into show canon. It's not a happy picture, but then that [Tragedy] tag is there for a reason. If you want a big-name endorsement, Cold in Gardez appreciated this. If you want a small-name endorsement, so did I. ★★★★

Maniacal by ColdGoldLazarus
Mane-iac and OC

G4; Dark; 2k words; Dec 2013; Teen

Nopony was there to help her. She’d taken the shift alone, despite all the rumors. She’d dismissed them as pure nonsense – and now she was to pay for it with her life...

An origin story for the Mane-iac? Definitely not something I've seen too often – or at all, in fact! The author provides quite a solid and believable background for the "Power Ponies" villain, and refreshingly there's also another side to her transformation – which is pretty unnerving, by the way – she's not just become a villain for the sake of being evil. Someone in the Fimfiction comments says it reminds them of a graphic novel story, and I get that. A top-end three and well worth a look if you like tales of Maretropolis. ★★★

Piano Lessons by gapty
Octavia, Trixie and Sunflower Spectacle

G4 EqG; Drama/Slice of Life; 9k words; May 2023; Everyone

Octavia notices her classmate, Trixie, practising a classical piano piece, and jumps into helping her master it. But why is Trixie so resistant?

Sunflower Spectacle (or "Specatcle" as Fimfiction puts it...) is Trixie's mum. This was written for a rare pairings contest, hence the unusual combination, but I think it's quite interestingly done. gapty brings out not only the chalk-and-cheese differences between these girls but also their similarities. Doing that requires good character writing, and fortunately we get that. At one point my notes say, "Oh Octavia, take a look at yourself!" after her reaction to something Trixie does. Flawed but believable characters are MLP to the core, so that's satisfying. The ending is perhaps a little weak, but the story itself still does enough for a highish three even from this reviewer, someone who isn't usually that hot on EqG fics. ★★★


And that's your lot for this week! Next time, I'll be covering these five ponyfics:

Labors at Sunrise by NaiadSagaIotaOar
A Tryst at Midnight by Cosmonaut
How the Foundation Ruined Nightmare Night by Drefsab
flith2 by Fluttergail
White Out by the dobermans

11 comments:

  1. Time for the Specatcle!

    That's probably Protopony's best story. :D Glad you could experience it.

    And the second one got baleeted. c_c I wonder what's up with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, author of the second story here. I often unpublish my stories to correct some of the mistakes/grammar etc, which I did with this story this morning (but then, I realized it was dumb to do that the day it gets reviewed lol)

      It should be back up now.

      Delete
    2. oh gosh! that's totally valid! :O I was afraid a middle-of-the-road review might have turned you off writing or something, I'm glad that's not the case!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! As always, I'm always open for feedback on reviews. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I wouldn't really know how to give feedback on your reviews! They're quite honest, they get to the point and are in my honest opinion highly insightful. You've helped me figure out most of the problems with my stories (some I already knew about like the editing, some new ones to me like the length) and so on.

      On another note, I was asking myself something about the end of my story. As you said, it's highly divisive/comes out of nowhere. Now, to be honest, I've written that part with barely any thoughts given to it — just one last "twist" for the sake of it, and because the idea made me chuckle when it came to my mind first. With hindsight, I wonder whether or not it's something that would be worth actually keeping in the story. You did say that you didn't like that part, but would you say the story would be better off without it, or is it something more along the lines of "controversial, but does add something to the story"?

      Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense, I am currently a few glasses of wine into the evening so my thinking's a bit lessened, but the question's been on my mind for a few days now.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, I'm very pleased whenever someone feels my reviews have been helpful. As for not knowing how to give feedback, I'll take any and all comments, just as I will on my stories. On here, in Fimfiction PMs, you name it. Reviewers are just like authors in being vain and wanting attention -- though since pretty much all reviewers are also authors, maybe that point is fairly unhelpful. :P

      You did say that you didn't like that part, but would you say the story would be better off without it, or is it something more along the lines of "controversial, but does add something to the story"?

      That's a tricky one to answer, since I think that while I wasn't a great fan of it personally, it does give an extra dimension to the story. I suppose it would depend on whether you just took it out and left everything else unchanged, or whether you wrote an alternative ending. (One option, of course, would be to write an alternative ending in the form of an additional chapter, kind of like a DVD extra.)

      Delete
  3. Sidenote: Those who read Ghost Mike's review of this fic knew a year ago that iisaw was working on what's now The Cadenza Prophecies!
    Oh boy… reading through those comments on that blog back and forth between iisaw and myself about our in-progress Ponyfic adventure novels had me wincing. Guess who actually managed to get theirs published a year later? Hint: he's actually alive.

    The project's been enough of a struggle lately and me wisely copping on to not wax about it publicly until it's much closer to completion doesn't help. Maybe this reminder may help…? One never knows, I suppose.

    Sidenote: Technically, it's been known that iisaw was working on other Alicorn Adventures stories since the first two chapters of Skyla Pseudonym, which after the time skip refers to two adventures under their titles (via the amusing loophole of the history of said events getting fictionalised versions in-universe). iisaw even said in the comments to queries that said two and a third were already outlined. I only know this off a comment for the title change to Cadenza Prophecies leading me to check out of curiosity and finding said book got its title changed there.

    So, the thing was technically "public" for six years before I re-coaxed it out of him (not counting the time the fics were delisted). :) Course, between that time gap and how much said novel presumably changed when it got resuscitated and actually written, I wouldn't hope for the other two to actually surface (I think iisaw might have said somewhere this one would be it…?). But, I've been wrong before, and won't deign to step on his hooves.

    Oh yeah, Applejack's Hobby was a good one. A few quibbles, but it's the kind of cozy ponyfic I like (if also the kind that challenges the usefulness of the rating system – what I privately think of as Admiral Biscuit Syndrome. :P).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still looking forward to your story, and if you can wait six years for mine, then I'm certainly not going to urge you to rush things with yours! Have fun with it, and let it come as it comes!

      Delete
  4. I quite liked Twilight is Annoyed even considering the tragedy genre which is pretty much a ringing endorsement from me!

    Applejack's Hobby Sounds like fun, and I may give it a look. Lion Yell has got to be a pun for Lionel, a famous US maker of model trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you. Lionel apparently sell some of their products over here (albeit mostly the 265th version of the Hogwarts Express...) and I'm sure that's what the author was going for.

      Delete