Friday 27 August 2021

This piece of Pony history's been gone a while now, but it's still rather sad

No, not the Rainbow Rocks trailer embedded above, which as you see is still there, but the YouTube comments that once went along with it. It's something that saddens me about the whole "YouTube Kids" change that took effect quite some while ago now: any video that's been deemed as such loses all its comments. I know there are other places you can see RR hot takes, but for all their drawbacks YouTube comments do have an immediacy that few other places do.

While I'm here, I'll use the opportunity to say that I'm having a brief break from the rewatch series, so there won't be anything up this weekend. However, I may try to get the pre-Rainbow Rocks shorts watched over the coming week so that I can do a summary post next weekend. Then it'll be on to the film itself – which will of course get a full write-up – and after that, I will do another summary post for the musical shorts from April 2015. And then it'll be S5 of FiM.

3 comments:

  1. Worth noticing the upload date for the trailer- 13 February 2014, a full eight months before the film itself was released. I think this is part of why I feel so fondly about this film- it had a long lead up to build up hype about it. And then it delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and given the near-year gap between S4 and S5 of FiM having all that hype really helped to keep us all going!

      Delete
    2. It was during that gap that I discovered the show, and I caught up *just* in time for the Season 5 premiere. Possibly interestingly, I enjoyed the first Equestria Girls film for what it was, but without any anticipatory buildup I wasn't hyped about watching Rainbow Rocks at all. How wrong I was!

      Delete