Tuesday 22 December 2020

Sounds of 2013: nos. 3 and 2

It's no secret that I haven't been updating this blog as consistently recently as I would like. There's no specific reason for that beyond the general "It's 2020" syndrome affecting so many of us in various ways, but at least I should be able to get Sounds of 2013 finished before the end of the year now I'm finally posting the penultimate part! The usual quick refresher on the criteria for inclusion:

Rule 1: Still available in the same or (1b) similar form direct from the artist
Rule 2: Available from a third party, with reason to believe the artist is fine with this
Rule 3: So famous that it would be plain silly to leave it out
Rule 4: Being unlisted is not, on its own, grounds for exclusion

Today's dynamic duo are:

03: SlyphStorm – Sinking Ships [cover]
02: BlackGryph0n & Baasik – Crusader (Are We There Yet?)

What's beyond the cut below? Waffling, YouTube embeds, you know the score by now. If you're interested, come past the break with me!


Rule 1: uploaded to YouTube 7 Dec 2013
FiMFlamFilosophy's original of this Rainbow Dash Presents number made the list at no. 27, but it's SlyphStorm's cover version that was considered the real smash hit by the listeners of Everfree Radio. Is it worthy of its position? Well... no. I mean, SlyphStorm is a mighty fine musician, and the song is undeniably catchy – but top-three standard? Nah. I would consider this the better of the two versions, though, precisely because of SlyphStorm's abilities. His arrangement has a bit more presence about it than the original, I think, especially the slightly more driving percussion. You can buy it for one  US dollar on SlyphStorm's Bandcamp.


Rule 1: uploaded to YouTube 19 Oct 2013
Ah yes, it's BlackGryph0n and Baasik time again. And although I have a somewhat mixed relationship with their songs, I think this one may be the best of them all. It's a celebration of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and their (in 2013) seemingly eternal quest for their marks. Yes, it's melodic radio-pop with a hint of Owl City, but it's crafted really well in that genre. The chorus in particular sticks in my head and won't let go every time I hear it. I also very much like the little instrumental section near the end. The HQ version will cost you 99 US cents from BlackGryph0n's Bandcamp. Years later, of course, the CMC did get their cutie marks, and the companion piece "Here We Are" resulted... but that appeared in 2016, so don't expect me to get to it, at least not any time soon!

And that's almost it for this series! Just one post to come, showcasing just one song. What will it be? If you already know or have looked it up, please don't give it away in the comments – I suspect some people are hoping to be surprised!

5 comments:

  1. While these are both great songs, I agree, I wouldn't have put them back-to-back as some of the best songs of the year.

    Also, I feel like B&BG maybe had a better song in 2013? But that's just nitpicking, and it's probably elsewhere on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "Faster Than You Know" was at no. 10, and I know you admire that one. The only other one by those two in the 2013 list was "RUN" at no. 56.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm grateful for the lack of spoilers as pretty much all of the songs (and most of the artists) are new to me! I kind of agree with PresentPerfect in that, hearing them all afresh here, to my ears these are good but not better than lots of others that made the upper reaches of this chart. But it's been a very welcome voyage of discovery and a lot of fun, so thank you!

    (sorry for not being around much recently, I've been a bit ill, but just lurking and reading quietly in the background. That sounded less sinister in my head.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you haven't been well; I hope you are (or shortly will be) on the mend. Thank you for continuing to read in a not-sinister way! (A dexter way, I suppose...)

      Delete
  3. Interesting post I enjoyed read this

    ReplyDelete