Wednesday 30 December 2020

Sounds of 2013: no. 1!

Whew, I've made it before the end of the year. Just! We've now been all the way through Everfree Radio's Top 100 of brony songs for 2013, as voted for by their listeners at the time. I don't see any reason to use a page cut on this one occasion, since there is only one song left... the number one! And here it is:




Rule 1: uploaded to YouTube 31 Oct 2013
SlyphStorm took third place in this Top 100, but that was only his second most popular song. This is the one that was voted top of the 2013 Pony pops. It's a follow-up to WoodenToaster's 2011 classic "Rainbow Factory", taking certain musical cues and (at the end) even whole lines from the older song, but with slick presentation and notably high production values. Something interesting is that WoodenToaster's song wasn't specific about the nature of the horrors that went into making rainbows, but then the fanfic appeared. By 2013, therefore, "Pegasus Device" was able to be much blunter and more brutal in telling its own take on the story. Indeed, this is a very grimdark song indeed if you know its background and concentrate on the lyrics. However, if you let all that wash over you a little, it's just a great piece of music. Would I have placed it first? I'm not sure. But I'm almost certain it would have made my top ten. I'm happy that the final entry in this series is one whose popularity I can get behind. Pick up the HQ version for $1 on SlyphStorm's Bandcamp.

And there you have it! As far as I can tell, 2013 was the last year that Everfree Radio did a Top 100 like this. As such, I don't know whether I'll be able to do a similar series for 2014 or beyond. I am not ruling out the idea, but I'm not ruling it in either!

2 comments:

  1. Glad Slyph got some recognition, but I was never really into this series of songs. :B Makes sense it would be popular, though.

    I will be very sad if you can't continue this series somehow. D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a bit anticlimactic (the song, not the post!), but I've thoroughly enjoyed this series - it's been a fascinating journey into an unknown (to me) past and I just wanted to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete