Thursday 12 January 2017

Dave Polsky has left the building

 

If you don't count Meghan McCarthy, who is working on the movie, the very last Season One writer has departed. Dave Polsky was never my favourite writer, though he did come up with some fine episodes such as "Rarity Takes Manehattan". What I'll mostly remember him for, though, is the fantastic panel presentation he did at BUCK 2014 – the whole thing was filmed by the con and can be seen above. It was far and away the best panel I've attended at any convention, and was one of those "I was there" moments that cons can have.

As I said in the comments on EQD, this is sad in a way as the severing of a (nearly) final writing link with the early days. But I don't mind new writers if – if – they get the show. That means appreciating that it's not simply a "wacky cartoon". Corey Powell's first episode was "Sleepless in Ponyville". Jennifer Skelly's debut was "Buckball Season". New writers who can come up with stuff like that are all right with me.

Dave Polsky is moving over to Hasbro's Hanazuki, which makes its debut today. I'll keep an eye on it, but until I actually see an episode it's hard to know how much it'll appeal to me. For now, I'll simply wish Mr Polsky the very best in his new role, thank him for all the work he put into MLP and remain optimistic that those who take up the slack in S7 will do a fine job.

No comments:

Post a Comment