Tuesday 25 February 2014

Top 10 pony tracks of 2013, part two

Yes, same header picture! Partly because I'm lazy but mostly because it's just so perfect for this. Last week, I posted the first part of my personal Top 10 pony tracks of 2013. I did promise that you wouldn't have to wait an excessive amount of time before I brought you my top three, and thankfully I'm actually keeping that promise! A quick reminder of the rules: no show music (or remixes thereof) and only songs with a 2013 YouTube datestamp are eligible for selection. Numbers in square brackets are from the Everfree top 100.

3. Hard Knocks (Griffinilla & Alex Cole, ft. Cats Milly) [N/A]
Given this song's association with the enormously popular Sherclop Pones, I'm really quite surprised it didn't make Everfree's list. It's the at times disturbing story, told in first person, of a pony toy. To be more specific, a pony toy who's had a really quite hard life, in the way that small children's plastic toys tend to. It's also extremely catchy!

2. Never Alone (TheDashDub, ft. Feather) [98]
This is an extraordinarily beautiful song. Feather's ethereal vocals are perfectly suited to a song about Pegasi – and even more so to a song about a very special bond between two such ponies: Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. It's easy to imagine this being set just after the end of "Sleepless in Ponyville". I won't deny to having damp eyes once or twice.

1. Someone Like Me (Aviators) [N/A]
I've tried and tried, and I still can't make sense of this song not placing anywhere in the Everfree top 100. Yes, I know I'm biased when it comes to Fluttershy, but this is just wonderful. (The recent acoustic version may be even better, but misses the cutoff date.) Set before she met the rest of the Mane Six, it really captures the essence of 'Shy. Soft, gentle, melodic and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment