Saturday 25 May 2013

Why capitalise "brony"?

Otherwise known as an "it's Saturday; Logan's too lazy to make a proper post" post. But still... I have to admit that "Brony" looks rather weird to me. I can't decide whether those who do it as a form of empowerment (as some people write Black) or by analogy with other fan descriptors like Trekkie. The latter approach falls down, though, in that Star Trek is clearly a proper noun, so it's reasonable to maintain the capitalisation for "Trekkie" — whereas "brony" is entirely fandom-created and is not a proper noun, so makes more sense in lower case.

The only place I've actually seen this subject discussed is here on MLP Forums, and the associated poll came out roughly 60/40 in favour of the lower-cased spelling. Not, of course, that this actually matters all that much (or indeed at all) but as I said, I can't be bothered to think up anything more significant for today's ramblings. For what it's worth, I always write the word with a lower-case b, and I can't see any reason to change. This post was brought to you by the letter X, because I'm contrary like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment