Monday 26 September 2022

Make Your Mark hits Netflix today, and how I'll cover it here

It's been a long wait since the first one in May, but at last "Chapter 2" (as the first batch of eight episodes is being called) is available to watch on Netflix. I have to be honest and say that this modern way of doing things just doesn't feel as hyped-up and exciting as the 2010s FiM approach of releasing one episode a week. Okay, part of that is that so far G5 itself hasn't wowed me enough, but not all of it. Still, it's 2022 now and Netflix is how we're getting MYM, so we'd better get used to it.

As for coverage here? Well, I'm not someone who enjoys binge-watching, so I won't be burning through all eight episodes in a row. Yes, I'll inevitably get spoiled, but that's my problem. Also, with UK PonyCon now only 11 days away (10 if you count the day I travel up) I'm just not going to have a lot of spare time until that's over. As such, don't expect much in the way of G5 reviews here until mid-October. I might get the time to write about the first one, but I might not. We'll have to see.

But after that? Right now, yes, I do intend to write episode reviews for Make Your Mark. They're unlikely to be as long or detailed as the reviews I did (originally, not the rewatches) for G4 content, but they'll be more than just a couple of lines. I think there'll be enough to talk about, and you can rest assured that unless the new batch is dire, it won't just be a bunch of whinging. I do like to look for the good in Pony content, even when I do nitpick about the less impressive parts.

3 comments:

  1. In an odd coincidence, I have to babysit the processing of a bunch of photoscanned 3D assets today, which means spending hours staring at little green progress bars, waiting for them to complete or suddenly go "strangled computer red," so being able to binge these on my kindle seems like a stroke of luck.

    —or is it?

    Time will tell.

    In any case, I'm looking forward to your thoughts whenever they appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a quick first watch-through of the first episode (only) of the new batch. Immediate reaction is of the "okay" variety. A few bits that really interested me, a few bits that irritated me, quite a lot in the middle. Enough for me to keep watching when I have the time, at least.

      Delete
    2. Your reaction feels very familiar. The big plus for me, is that despite being a step down in visual quality from the movie, the series is very pretty, and the ponies are cute instead of the TYT borderline creepy designs.

      Delete