Monday 20 September 2021

My Little Repeats special: the post-Rainbow Rocks shorts

 
Once Rainbow Rocks had come and gone, most of us in the fandom had settled down to wait somewhat impatiently for Season 5 of Friendship is Magic. Hasbro and DHX had other ideas. On 1 April 2015, completely out of the blue and with not even a hint of a rumour beforehand, three more musical shorts were released. It was quite a day. The first, "Life is a Runway", is usually considered the least of the three, though it's solid enough and contains both Derpy and some LyraBon shipteasing. "My Past is Not Today" is many people's favourite, a wonderfully animated and uplifting song performed by Sunset about her reformation. My own favourite, though, is "Friendship Through the Ages", a lovely evocation of what G4 My Little Pony as a whole is all about. The different musical and visual styles complement each other very nicely, and Rainbow Dash in particular gets a striking punkish sequence. We didn't expect these shorts at all, but they were instantly and hugely popular. They deserved it, too.

To see all three shorts in order, you can use this playlist, which should begin in the right place. You'll get a bit of Hasbro promo stuff at the end of each song, but you can always skip through that.

2 comments:

  1. I thought "Life is a Runway" was pretty good, just because of the attention a number of background characters got, including best derp horse. I didn't particularly like that many of the fashions, though what do I know about that? (I'm not sure what the arrows on Derpy's shirt were supposed to mean, I don't think gloves suited that outfit, and I didn't like Cheerilee's skirt, but I loved Derpy's skirt, and I thought leggings did suit the outfit.) That one is more (in)famous for Rarity's rather slinky catsuit. Sunset's video was cool, with great visuals, though it seemed like "easy mode" in getting the fanbase whipped up on an obvious topic. I barely remember the third one at all. I would guess I also liked the visuals, but it seems like a pretty generic theme to take on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the arrows on Derpy's shirt were supposed to mean

      I've always interpreted that as being a nod to her eyes. One up, one down.

      Delete