Saturday 11 September 2021

A belated Happy 10th to "Rainbow Factory"

I've now rewatched Rainbow Rocks. Since I'll be busy today, my plan is to write up the blog post tomorrow and schedule it to go up on Monday morning. Meanwhile, here is some music...

I'm actually almost a month overdue with this one, but I felt it was significant enough that I had to give it some notice. WoodenToaster's dark-tinged classic was first uploaded to YouTube on 14th August 2011. To this day, a surprisingly large number of people think this was inspired by the fanfic of the same name. In fact, it's the other way round: the earliest version of the fic was published five days after the song, on 19th August. It's not as polished as the slightly later Fimfiction version linked above, which though not exactly stunning in quality is surprisingly non-terrible for a self-consciously grimdark fic, but it's historically interesting I guess. And yes, it's on GDocs. Anyone who remembers the days before Fimfiction publication became near-universal may feel a pang of nostalgia!

But I'm not here to talk about the story, really. It's short enough that you can read it for yourself if you want. WoodenToaster's song, which I am here to talk about, is one of the best from 2011. That bass piano at the beginning really sets the scheme, and though I'm not always a huge fan of vocal distortion I do think it works here. Then there's that driving beat, which indeed brings to mind the sounds of some heavy industrial factory. The lyrics are not quite perfect, with eg "To which the answer is in a simple facility" having too many syllables, but you can't have everything. This one is always going to be a brony classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment