Wednesday 14 July 2021

Ponyfic Roundup 351

Read it Later story count: 132 (+1) 

Here I am again with another edition of Ponyfic Roundup. What, you thought it was an episode of Rate My Custard? Sorry to disappoint you. As you can see, my RiL list has slightly lengthened this week. As I keep saying, if only people would stop writing fics that appeal to me I would find this job a great deal easier! Right; here we go:

Theory by shortskirtsandexplosions
Taken for Grammar by Robotech_Master
Sunset Shimmer is Dating WHO!? by Ninjadeadbeard

★: 0 | ★★: 2 | ★★★: 0 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

Theory by shortskirtsandexplosions
Twilight, Rarity, Celestia, Cadance and Shining Armor
Sad; 4k words; Jun 2013; Everyone

Twilight can't sleep. She has an ancient and unfinished magic spell running circles in her mind. It's only when her friends visit that she begins to relax.

As I've come to expect from SS&E, this is a rather strange story. However, unlike some of his it's strange in a way I actually feel I can understand. Recently-ascended Twilight's work on the Clever Hypothesis Equation (the name gets explained) is frustrating her immensely, but Rarity visiting the library helps. There's an oddly fragile atmosphere to the fic, and it's important to read every word of the descriptions. I did work out what was going on (at least, what I think was going on) quite near the end, so I expect most readers will. There is more than one layer to it, I think. Once you do realise what's happening here, it is very sad indeed but also oddly inspiring. Recommended, but be prepared for a punch in the feels once realisation dawns. ★★★★

Taken for Grammar by Robotech_Master
Twilight, Applejack, Spike and CMCs
Comedy/Slice of Life; 4k words; Jun 2012; Everyone

Twilight Sparkle corrects Applejack's short story

Here we have a fairly popular ponyfic setup: Twilight getting so involved in the corrections that she doesn't appreciate that confronting a friend with a long list of things she did wrong might not always be welcome. This time, however, Applejack (whose accent is a bit overdone) really doesn't take it well at all. She doesn't make a fuss at first, but you see from her subsequent actions that she is not happy. To be honest those actions lost me a bit, as they just seemed overboard for honest ol' AJ. Yes, ponies sometimes lose their moral compass somewhat, but one one particular occasion here she goes beyond grouchy to plain cruel. That aside this is a decent enough version of the trope – but in 2021 I've seen it too many times for that to have much effect. Only really recommended if you adore the "Editor Twilight" trope. ★★

Sunset Shimmer is Dating WHO!? by Ninjadeadbeard
Sunset Shimmer and Grogar
Equestria Girls/Romance/Comedy/Random; 3k words; May 2021; Teen (Sex)

Sunset's always been into bad boys, but how bad is too bad?

The Rainbooms are not desperately impressed when Sunset turns up in the company of a seven-foot-tall ram. They're even less impressed when they find out that Grogar (the real one, too) is her boyfriend. For the most part, this is a pretty fun, very stupid comedy. It even manages something I haven't seen for ages: an in-story meta reference that works. Anyway, Sunset points out to the other girls that Equestria doesn't frown on cross-sapient-species relationships (missed chance for a mule reference, though) but it doesn't really placate them. Grogar himself is great value, pushing out the "I am so evil" stuff with just a flash of self-awareness. Funny and stupid, as I said, although I really don't like an aspect of how Fluttershy's own yearnings are portrayed here, one that frankly squicked me. The ending is, again, stupid but fun. A decent two that would have been a three had I not disliked Fluttershy's portrayal so much. ★★


Next time around, stories reviewed should include Bad Horse's non-Twilicorn-universe Twilight fic Moving On.

2 comments:

  1. The Cloptimist15 July 2021 at 09:41

    ... I do kind of want you to do Rate My Custard now.

    Another great roundup, thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a couple of people have written Custardverse stories! I'd feel a bit strange reviewing those, though.

      Delete