Friday 9 August 2019

Text Review Roundup: "The Last Laugh"

I haven't forgotten about "Sunset's Backstage Pass", and it will get a review – although almost certainly a mini-review. I just haven't got round to it yet. The truth is that EqG doesn't generally mean enough to me for its stuff to get the same scale of coverage as FiM on this blog, with a few exceptions such as the actual feature films. But please feel free to remind me if I haven't put up that mini-review by this time next week.

Back to FiM now, and it's high time TRR woke from hibernation to begin its last half-season! (Possibly not the last ever, but the last for quite some while; G5 is a long way off...) As always, I'll be happy to hear about any other text-based reviewers, so that I can include them in future TRR editions. I am not interested in those who just post a couple of lines and then direct people to a 15-minute YouTube review, as that's exactly what TRR isn't for.

We have anything but a full slate of text-based reviewers this time, I suspect partly because of the clash with the final BronyCon. Looking at those who did post their opinions, you'll see that "The Last Laugh" was not an episode where there was any sort of consensus. The closest we got was the broad agreement that Pinkie was well written. Beyond that? Reviewers didn't agree about the comedy, didn't agree about Weird Al's value, didn't agree about the song... you get the idea.

I was in the middle of the pack once again. This is getting to be a habit!

Cuddlepug – mixed (graded C; "a fine episode, but one that could have been far deeper [...] a shame more wasn't done with the concept")

Dramamaster829 – mixed ("Though the majority of the story’s plot is as bland as a backdrop for ‘Rainbow Roadtrip’, the bits that Cheese and Pinkie share somewhat make up for the grey atmosphere.")

JDPrime22 – positive (rated 9/10; "certainly an unexpected twist this time around, but still awesome")

Louder Yay – mildly positive (rated 3/5; "on first viewing I thought it was really poor [and Weird Al] only got to be fun and silly and wacky in the final third [...] What improved my assessment second time around was that I knew where the episode was going – and I do like the moral here [...] I also warmed to Sans Smirk.")

Mike Cartoon Pony – mixed ("Shrug-worthy, not bad or weak, but very bland [...] the characters are undeniably written well [but it's] technically proficient but dull. [...] And for an episode featuring Weird Al Yankovic, that’s a crippling issue.")

MLEEP Reviews – positive (rated 9/10; "managed to turn what felt like a role reversal situation of a rehash and supply some great comedy not only from Pinkie Pie herself but also [Weird Al]")

Present Perfect – positive ("The Fox Brothers have at last redeemed themselves. I haven’t seen Pinkie Pie written this well since Amy Keating Rogers left the show. [...] For an episode about being unable to laugh, this was really funny [and] Sans Smirk was an interesting character [although the song] definitely pales in comparison to basically anything else you can compare it to.")

The Railfan Brony – negative (rated Bad; "rehashes Pinkie Pride, only based in a factory and none of the humor or charm [...] Pinkie was fairly well-written like a genuine friend who wants to help, and Cheese Sandwich was also pretty sympathetic [but] The Last Laugh is creatively bankrupt.")

TheDragonWarlock – positive (rated 9/10; "easily Pinkie's best episode in a long time [...] While [Cheese is] sadly not bringing too many of the laughs this time, he's still enjoyable as a whole and I liked the little character he did get [...] The comedy is excellent [as is the song] a great way to send Pinkie off on a high note")

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, if you saw how my review turned out, you'll my comments about the episode aren't as agreeable either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, just noticed I missed yours out. Sorry! Will add it when I'm home with a keyboard and desktop.

      Delete
  2. Amazing. It's not even a "love it or hate" it kind of episode, either. It's gonna be a crazy ride to the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than a boring ride, do I'm ready for it. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't normally do this, given I believe in Death of the Author and all that (and I believe it applies to works of non-fiction too, even reviews), but I feel your choice of words regarding my review is rather off the mark, Logan. "Rather negative" seems very misplaced when, mere words later, you quote me saying "not bad or weak, but very bland". If that isn't a poster statement for "Mixed", I don't know what is.

    There have been times before where I've felt the statement you've picked to summarise my review is a notch lower then the reality of my take, and I let those pass by, because it's a small thing, because of the Death of the Author thing, and because it's perfectly fair for someone's take of my opinion to not perfectly match my actual sentiments. But in this case, this is several steps of quality below what I meant (I even say in the review that the episode is still well within the season's top half, objectively).

    In essence, you don't mind changing it, do you? I wouldn't want folks to get an impression several leagues off the reality, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a perfectly fair comment, and so I've changed it to "Mixed".

      I think it's fair to say I find "dull" to be one of the worst things an MLP episode can be -- in general, I'd rather have a bad-but-interesting episode to one that simply slips from my mind, which is why "Uprooted" ranks so poorly for me. So I think probably I treat words like "dull" in a more negative way than you and many reviewers do. I shall bear that in mind in the future.

      And thank you for the feedback! I always appreciate that, and the day I only want "That's spot on!" feedback is the day I should stop writing this blog.

      Delete