Friday 2 August 2019

August's Flashfic 150 contest is now open

Hey, would you look at that? For once I'm actually remembering to promote Flashfic 150... during the final BronyCon, when several of those who read this blog will be otherwise engaged. (Having fun, I hope!) Great timing there, Logan.

Anyway, the prompt for August, chosen by KwirkyJ, is I Thought We Were Friends. (Click on it to take you to the contest thread.) That's a nice prompt, I think: not too vague, yet allowing all sorts of interpretations. I'm hoping for a reasonable entry, but these things don't seem to be very predictable, so we'll see.

For the uninitiated, Flashfic 150 is a (deliberately) prize-free* monthly flashfic contest. Any member of Fimfiction's Flashfic group is eligible to win – except me, since I'm the judge. As the contest's name suggests, there's a limit of 150 words on entries, which are submitted as comments in the contest thread. It's tough to write an interesting story in such a small space, but that's the idea.

A few months ago, I was on the edge of calling a halt, since entry numbers had sometimes dwindled to four. Things have picked up a little since then, so I expect Flashfic 150 to outlive Friendship is Magic, at least. If you're interested in having a go yourself this or any future month, you'll be very welcome!

* In terms of conventional prizes, at least. The winner does get the honour of choosing the following month's prompt, which serves as a slight compensation for the fact that the rules say no-one may win two months running.

No comments:

Post a Comment