Wednesday 10 April 2019

Ponyfic Roundup 245

I've pretty much run out of ideas for subtitles, and I can't remember which ones I've used anyway, so I think it's time to give that feature a rest. Though call me crazy, but I think I may keep the idea of numbering editions in ascending order.

Read it Later story count: 260 (nc)

I've tried to make a little more time for reading this week. The results have been... mixed. I've managed more than just the two fics that at one point I feared I'd have, but I haven't managed the number I hoped I'd have. Here's what I do have to look at this fine (possibly; consult the weather pegasi) Wednesday morning.

From Princess Twilight Sparkle, President of the Twinkle-Nebula-Frie-Neutron Family Reunion by Georg
Shimmer by Autumn Wind
We Are Okay by Harmony Pie
Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Gloom of Night, But Chaos, That's Another Story... by alarajrogers

★: 0 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 1 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

From Princess Twilight Sparkle, President of the Twinkle-Nebula-Frie-Neutron Family Reunion by Georg
Twilight
Comedy; 1k words; Oct 2015; Everyone
Nothing special here, move along, nothing to see, just ignore the lump under the sheet and the red stuff...
Hey look, a comedy that made me laugh! This is rarer than it ought to be. If you enjoy nerdy humour, of the sort Twilight herself might enjoy, then this could well be your cup of tea. (With horse puns: if "Neighmann hypothesis" does it for you, read this.) Twi deals with the aftermath of a very extended family reunion that featured a lot of maths-related vandalism. I actually misread one joke and the teenage Asimov fan in me was slightly disappointed, but I still had a whale of a time. I'd guess if you enjoyed Cold in Gardez's Naked Singularity (PR 2) then this will also be fun for you. ★★★★

Shimmer by Autumn Wind
Sparkler, Cheerilee, Derpy, Dinky and OCs
Sad; 9k words; Dec 2011; Everyone
The Doo family's secret weighs on Sparkler. Seeking some respite, she seeks Cheerilee for counsel.
Note the publication date: this fic's title has nothing whatever to do with Sunset Shimmer. Instead, it's the often sad but ultimately hopeful tale of a broken home. Sparkler (=Amethyst Star) and her baby sister, Shimmer, endure misery as they live with a violent mother who frequently abuses her husband. (Interesting to consider the dynamics of this in Equestria's matriarchal society.) We learn the story in flashbacks as Sparkler tells it to Cheerilee – including what happened to Shimmer herself. It's pretty grim for an [Everyone]-rated story and really ought to be [Teen]. There's also a bit of disorientating POV-hopping (knowing Dinky's feelings, for example) and it's a bit too waffly to have the emotional punch it needs. Quite readable, but I was hoping for a little more. ★★

We Are Okay by Harmony Pie
Sci-Twi and Pinkie Pie
Equestria Girls/Sad/Slice of Life; 4k words; Jan 2018; Teen (Suicide/Self-Harm)
Twilight Sparkle may be a brilliant scientist, a flawless engineer, and a wielder of otherworldly magic—but she's not infallible. Sometimes, she isn't okay. Pinkie knows this.
This is another piece about a troubled young woman, but it's half the length of Shimmer and, I think, all the better for it. Sci-Twi turns up at Pinkie's. She handles it from there. I think what makes this satisfying is precisely that it is Pinkie. She's absolutely the right choice, odd though it might seem at first glance. Looked at in some lights, she doesn't do much. But in the ways that matter most, she does a great deal. There are a few well-restrained hints of what Twilight's depression has led her to, and I think they're all the more powerful for being left at that. I wasn't a big fan of a few real-world references (they're humans, but it's not Earth) but that's a minor issue. This is still worthwhile. ★★★

Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Gloom of Night, But Chaos, That's Another Story... by alarajrogers
Parcel Post, OC and Discord
Comedy/Random; 2k words; May 2015; Everyone
Parcel Post tells his supervisor how he escaped from Discord's dimension. Spoilers S05E07.
What is it with lengthily-titled stories this week? Anyway, this is a spin-off from "Make New Friends but Keep Discord", and it reveals just what happened to the unfortunate mailstallion who Discord sent off into the chaotic ether during that episode. It's light-hearted fun, but its twisted logic (which is fair enough given the background) does all connect up quite nicely. We get to hear a little about some of the denizens of Discord's dimension, and there's some pleasing originality to their behaviour, even if one or two are inspired by non-fandom creations. It's always nice to find a [Random] story that nevertheless feels connected. Nothing that blew my mind, hence the (high) three, but easily worth a few minutes of your time. ★★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: Stories reviewed should include SaddleSoapOpera's Scootafic Hell on Wheels and Regocomics' Octavia fic Forbidden Melodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment