Friday 12 April 2019

I'm going to Griffish Isles!

The odd price is because there is (as so often, sigh) a booking fee
I've been thinking about this for a few months now, but things have finally fallen into place. So in just under a month, I'll be off to the one-day Griffish Isles convention in Manchester. This will be my first purely brony convention since 2014, as I've only been to the multi-gen UK PonyCon since. It will, I think, also be the first time I've been to Manchester (as opposed to just passing through) since my last purely brony convention, BUCK 2014! I'll be travelling up the day before and staying in a nearby hotel on the Friday night.

As so often in life, not everything is perfect. For reasons unrelated to the con or the fandom, I need to be back home the following morning. Given the poor standard of Sunday-morning trains, my only option is to head home late on Saturday night – which will require me to leave the con by around 7:30pm. I'll therefore miss some of the evening entertainment, though it does mean I'll continue my run of avoiding 18+ Pony events as the venue's all-ages licence cutoff is 8:00pm!

Still, I'm looking forward to it, despite the slightly awkward venue, which is not exactly in the classiest area of the city, and is a 20-minute walk or a short bus ride from the city centre. The main reason is (as ever) the chance to catch up with friends, especially those I don't often see. There's also the fact that S9 might have ended by the time UK PonyCon rolls around in October, so Griffish Isles might turn out to be the last time I'm at a Pony convention while Friendship is Magic is still a live series.

No comments:

Post a Comment