Thursday 22 November 2018

Sounds of 2011, nos. 77 to 73


Chain Algorithm is a musician who I've never been very familiar with, and given that they've only uploaded one track (a non-Pony one at that) in the last four years, they've rather fallen out of general fandom consciousness too. This June 2011 track has over 150,000 views, though, so it must have been a fair-sized hit once. As you'd expect, it's built around the story of Nightmare Moon's return in early S1. It's full of slightly hard-edged futuristic synthy sounds. I have to agree with a few commenters that it's a smidge too long, but it makes good background music to type to! Chain Algorithm's Bandcamp survives, but this song is not there.

Nos. 76 and 75 do not meet my criteria to be featured, so I'm skipping them.


It's oddity time again! For one thing, I'm really not sure who to credit this one to. The video is on the account of AleatoireMixes, but its description credits a piece by FinnOtaku, itself a remake of a track by Reouromけ. Given that the whole thing is a medley of extracts from famous YouTube Poop music and other memes, I pretty much give up there! AleatoireMixes provides a timestamped list in the video description of the songs used, which is a good thing as some are now enormously obscure, though I did recognise a few. The MP3 also linked to is only in 128k quality, and of course lacks the visuals, so you might as well stick to the YouTube version.


That's right: what we have here is an earlyish effort by the British band now known as Re:Make, but who found global fame in the MLP fandom under the Acoustic Brony name. Early in their life, they made a number of themes for the Mane Six, and this was number five. It's a country-themed, twangy instrumental as you'd imagine, vaguely similar to AJ's later Fighting is Magic theme. There's even a bit of "Winter Wrap Up" added in for extra Pony credentials. You wouldn't claim this was one of Acoustic Brony's greatest works, but it's a nice foretaste of their later "Elements" songs. As far as I can tell, though, there's no HQ version available anywhere.

Next time: Fluttershy! I can already tell it's going to be a great edition. :D

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Re:Make is Acoustic Brony? I still follow them on Bandcamp, and they're just one of those groups I always wonder where I found them. These rotten Youtubers and their tendency to change names without warning! >:V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, same band. Re:Make haven't entirely abandoned the fandom -- they played BronyScot the other week. And, I'm told, they played "Honesty". No, not the joke one. A new one. No idea whether that was a one-off or whether it'll actually get released, though of course I hope for the latter!

      Delete