Monday 23 July 2018

Episode review: S8E18 (or 14, or whatever) : "Yakity-Sax"

Pinkie Pie wearing a helmet and holding the yovidaphone
Back in "Magic Duel" you could play ten instruments at once...
The release schedule for the next few episodes of Friendship is Magic is a complete mess, and since that period also coincides with a holiday week for me, I'm likely to be a bit behind with episode reviews once again. However, this time there's an early release. Equestria Daily calls this episode 18, while the MLP Wiki calls it episode 14. Whatever, it was written by the Fox Brothers, with whose episodes I have a fairly mixed relationship. After the break, a few thoughts...

This was a really frustrating episode, because it came so close to being a lovely throwback to the old days. It was largely set in Ponyville, the Mane Six-plus-Spike (only, sans Starlight) were the focus and the conflict was domestic and fairly low-stakes. While I like the show we have today, there was an undeniable nostalgic kick in feeling like I'd travelled five or six seasons back in time to a simpler era of Pony.

Yes, you had to be fairly forgiving to accept Pinkie's one-track-mindedness over the yovidaphone, but I suppose she was probably less complex in the early days as well. (I really am looking forward to re-watching S1 and S2 one day.) It was a little bit silly, as many of the early-series conflicts were, and it was a self-contained episode – I'm fairly sure the yovidaphone will feature only peripherally if at all in later eps.

A crying Rarity, levitating a poor-quality dress, talks to Twilight. They're surrounded by books
Either Twi has a "teleport books" spell or Spike has been worked to the bone
I've seen it said by one or two people that the part of the episode where Pinkamena (another S1 callback!) is unmoved by the Mane Five's jollity and attempts to cheer her up could be an allegory for depression, and the way so many people misunderstand that as something that a cheery smile can fix. I honestly doubt that, as those seem waters too deep for this show, especially in an episode like this.

Maud's cameo was excellent, making use of her unique style of speech for comedic effect. Mind you, the Mane Five were Idiot Balled a bit there, as they surely know Maud well enough by now to understand that they needed to ask direct, unambiguous questions. Still, I can let this one go as a way of advancing the plot – on which note, the pacing of this episode did seem pretty good, right from Fluttershy's opening scene.

The yaks (except Yona) are still not my favourite characters, so I wasn't hugely enthused by the prospect of a trip to Yakyakistan in the final act. Pinkamena – whose colour gradually drained even during the episode – was in a pretty bad way by then, having failed to gain happiness from the yaks' fine playing of what I can't help thinking of the bagpipes. The Mane Six changed tack, and that did work.

Straight-maned Pinkamena looks unhappy as Gummy, a yellow balloon tied to his tail, drinks tea
On the plus side, Madame Le Flour didn't make an appearance
Which was the problem. We'd seen earlier in the episode that Pinkie's terrible yovidaphone playing wasn't just a minor inconvenience, but had caused significant and continuing upset to a large number of Ponyville's inhabitants – even in the middle of the night. As such, "If you like doing something, just carry on!" felt a very unsatisfactory moral. For one thing, it puts the Mane Six's desires on a pedestal above everyone else's.

So, how would I have changed this? What I was hoping for was a moral involving compromise and give-and-take, with Pinkie understanding that she was being rather selfish but some arrangement being found to let her continue practising. There's actually such a thing in show canon already: the "Bubble of Silence" spell used by Twilight to talk to Moondancer in "Amending Fences".

Oddly enough, "Yakity-Sax" wasn't the first episode written by the Fox Brothers to have the problem of a fun story brought down by a poor ending. Back in S6, "P.P.O.V" did something similar, when an entertaining episode was made frustrating by the ludicrous "bunyip" ending. So I suppose I should have expected it. Even so, this still felt like a missed opportunity for a nostalgia trip. We didn't even get the S1 parody of the Benny Hill music!

Twilight's balloon, containing the Mane Five, comes in to land in Yakyakistan
"It's Twilight Sparkle's balloon!" – more old-time Pony stuff
Best quote: Rarity: "Apple-solutely!"

Yays
  • A soothing bath of old-series atmosphere and callbacks
  • Nice to see a plain ol' Mane Six episode
  • Generally quite well paced
  • Pinkie leaving for Yakyakistan was an unexpected twist
Neighs
  • A deeply unsatisfactory moral
  • Pinkie's gratingly one-track mindset
  • Pinkamena and Rainbow making cupcakes? No thank you!
★★ (albeit a high one)

13 comments:

  1. I don't understand: I don't Know if you saw the previews of S8 already, but there is a lot of very cool stuff coming. Possible that of all the cool eps they had For the whole Second half they wasted the Summer Surprise on the only episode that by the sound of it seemed to be uncool? I don't think the episode was bad as many People point to be, but it's definitely at the bottom of the season only above Non-Compete Clause and The Maud Couple. Honestly I feel that using this one as an early airing was a really bad idea. Hope it won't damage the general vision of the rest of S8...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry, the rest of S8 has damage the general vision of S8.

      Delete
    2. @Anonymous: I've tried to avoid the more spoilery stuff. I have a very vague idea about some of the things that are coming, but I don't want to know more just yet. This is definitely not one of my favourite episodes of S8, but I've mostly enjoyed the season so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.

      @Present Perfect: Please don't become one of those people who only comes here to tell everyone else how bad everything is now.

      Delete
  2. The Fox Brothers have written some real stinkers, and this is another one.

    I agree on the near-nostalgic feeling angle, but it's like someone described season one to them, then said, "Okay, boys, now go write an episode!"

    This whole show is just wall-to-wall garbage now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This whole show is just wall-to-wall garbage now.

      Well, sorry, but I'm not going to agree with you on that one.

      Delete
    2. I would hope that you're not still watching the show only to put yourself in the way of other fans and ruining the Fun of the People who still love it. Because if that's the case let me tell ya Perfect: You're a really squallid person.

      Delete
    3. @Anonymous: no personal attacks, please.

      Delete
  3. It's the horrible Aesop that really kicks the stars off this one. If the end HAD been about compromise, it would have been very enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Actually, I could have seen something very similar to this getting a four-star rating. It was a real missed opportunity.

      Delete
  4. This ep is very enjoyable in the first 10 minutes, the bad moral just ruin this ep. I am really looking forward to Fox bros episodes after their fantastic Discodant Harmony, now they are back to their mediocre writting habits: start off good, fell flat near the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it up until the moral, really, so longer than 10 minutes. But it is a shame, I agree.

      Delete
  5. I guess this episode is pretty comparable to Feeling Pinkie Keen from the S1: A Fun episode with a terrible moral. Sadly this doesn't make it any better neither For me. I used to love Feeling Pinkie Keen because the humor but then as the show progressed far more funny episodes happened and that episode lost the few value it had For me and now I dislike it, and I don't see why For this one should be different. So there.

    In any case Always better having a bad filler episode in S8 that is similar to a bad S1 episode than having a bad S8 episode that completely f***s up one of the best S1 eps. (I think you understand what I'm talking About).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's years since I've watched "Feeling Pinkie Keen", so I'm actually not sure how I'd feel about it now. I'll find out one day. :)

      Delete