Monday 9 November 2020

My Little Repeats 57: "Magic Duel"

The bunny suit is cute, but it makes absolutely no sense

S3E05: "Magic Duel"
Written by M. A. Larson
1 Dec 2012

My original rating: N/A
IMDb score: 8.4

The one with Saddle Arabians

Thoughts: Trixie's (first) return is more popular with the fandom as a whole than it is with me. I dislike the way it treats Fluttershy, for a start: in particular that bit near the start where she threatens Twilight, but also the way she reverts to almost early-S1 levels of timidity. From a writer as accomplished as Larson that's a real disappointment. Thankfully there are a number of good things, starting with the (at the time) eye-opening look at the less salubrious backstreets of... well, probably Canterlot, but who knows? We also get the first use of the word "alicorn" in the show thanks to the eponymous Amulet, as well as Zecora playing a major supporting role with both actual magic and what Granny Weatherwax would call "headology". The spells in the first magic duel are variable: the age spells are a bit dull, the gag with Pinkie's removed mouth is funny but slightly overused, and so on. The tricks Twilight uses in the second one are nice (double Rainbow!) though it's best not to consider too closely how convincing they'd actually be. I'm also not sure I quite buy Trixie going as far as getting the Alicorn Amulet in the first place, though the "magical item corrupts wearer" thing is straightforward enough. I didn't like Trixie at this point and still don't find this ep as strong as a lot of the fandom do. It's probably right at the top of the two-star band for me these days. Among my least favourite Larson episodes, at any rate.

Choice quote: Trixie: "The Great and Powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels."

New rating: ★

Next up is "Sleepless in Ponyville", which I have adored ever since I first saw it. I cannot imagine it will get a low rating: unless something remarkable happens it'll merely be a question of whether I rate it four of five stars.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read this. I've always suspected the affection for this one rests almost entirely on people being glad/relieved to see Trixie again - but because I arrived late, for me it had only been around a month and a half since I saw her last. (Plus, we watched the (then) two Equestria Girls movies, both of which have her featured quite prominently, so I've never been in the position of being desperate for Trixie to return).

    Once you take that away... There are some lovely moments here (I like the Zecora-as-Yoda stuff, and the hints that Trixie is genuinely losing her mind are interesting), but the characterisation and pacing are both a bit of a mess, too many sight gags don't land or go on slightly too long, that's not a doorstop, and overall it just felt like a lot of ideas crammed in. Most un-Larsonlike, and never one of my favourites from the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one! The other commenters here (especially iisaw) like this a good deal more than either you or I do, it seems. Thank you for the company! :P

      Delete
  2. I can't say I've ever heard a word against Fluttershy in this episode before now. o.O I've always liked it, for that it does have that season 3 unbalance like most of the rest of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I've never heard of this one mentioned as unfair or regressive for her. She is rather being put on the spot in a dangerous situation, so even with her being a little more confident that originally, I can still see her being overly nervous here.

      I also agree with your picture caption. The suit was cute, but I don't see what it does to help her in her mission, and given it was Rarity who made it, it looks too jumbled and poorly put together for her. This would easily be three stars for me, maybe even pushing toward four.

      Delete
    2. I remember disliking Fluttershy's portrayal right back when the episode first aired, so that aspect isn't something I've retrospectively decided in the light of 'Shy's later development. I freely admit it's a minority view, though!

      Agreed, for a Rarity outfit it's really not very impressive. It's more like the other bunny suits back in "Family Appreciation Day" than the product of a superb dressmaker.

      Delete
  3. Since you started your original run of reviews with Sleepless in Ponyville all those years ago I can now finally say congratulations on writing a review of every episode of Friendship is Magic on your blog. I've been waiting a long time to say that.

    As to this episode I've never minded it all that much, but maybe I've got more fondness for the style of humour here? The scene where Spike keeps repeating everything Fluttershy's just said is a comedic highlight for me.

    I've never minded Fluttershy here because she's not *that* exaggerated. And anyway, most of the characters are slightly hightened here. Larson is using humour and hightened characterisation to paper over a plot full of holes but it's good enough fun that I'm happy to go along for the ride.

    http://louderyay.blogspot.com/2012/12/review-sleepless-in-ponyville-s3e06.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! I'm not sure it's really an achievement, but it is nice to know I've done the lot! (And no, I'm not going to stop here. :P )

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever disagreed with one of your ratings this strongly before. I adore this episode for many reasons, and the climax is probably one of the best. In a series that habitually resolves all major threats with a single huge friendship laser blast, this stands out as being resolved by cleverness and knowing one's opponent.

    Talk about an appropriate and useable Aesop! **** 1/2*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever disagreed with one of your ratings this strongly before.

      Well, I suppose one major disagreement out of a series of 200+ episodes isn't a bad record! ;) On another day I could see myself giving this a three, but no higher. Maybe there is a little residual anti-Trixieness in there, and just perhaps "Magic Duel" suffers slightly in my mind because of the episode that follows.

      Delete