Wednesday 18 October 2023

Sethisto's EQD editorial on AI art

This turned out to be a very interesting read, which is why I'm writing about it here, albeit saddled with a ridiculously long headline, to wit: The Huge Struggle of Pony Posting in an Era of AI Art, Policing Fake "Artists", and Dealing With the POWER of DALL-E 3. Aaaand breathe. What's particularly interesting about the article is that it recognises just how much AI art has changed in the last year, showing some really quite startling examples. If you remember the Twilight Pokéball stuff from 2022, that's totally old hat now.

As Seth says, it's no longer possible just to assume that AI-created pieces will all have an instantly recognisable style or sheen to them. That was true in 2022: it isn't (at least, isn't necessarily) true any more. Many of the kinds of silly little mistakes it still produces are a) often skimmed over by viewers, and b) also quite often produced by human artists. Plus, as he also says, dishonesty exists in this fandom too: he says there's an AI-created piece posing as a human-created one in his inbox as he types.

The comments section on the EQD post is better than I'd expected too, with many posters coming to the conclusion that the time when you could realistically say, "AI must be kept out of art, full stop" might well already be over. As one person points out, Adobe is powering ahead with AI-enabling Photoshop, and it's not going to be the only graphics software package to do that. I assume, then, that soon just about everyone making computer art will be using AI somewhere along the way unless they put considerable effort into not doing so.

I'm too unwell still to add much of my own, but I did want to flag up the EQD piece as being something worth your time to read.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that. Apart from anything else, it cheered me up while I'm stuck at home. Also, it added some really fascinating insight. I must admit I'd only really been thinking of fanart in response to the EQD piece, not the kind of thing you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, and I hope you start feeling better soon!

    BTW, there are AI tools that I use in my work, but they're for very specific use-cases like sharpening blurry or pixilated stills, removing noise, and sometimes minor background extensions,* and they need a lot of babysitting in order to avoid wandering off into Lovecraft Territory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. iisaw, you are and continue to be a most interesting dude

    also, that is a dangling asterisk if I ever did see one! <_< spill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Interesting"... Yep—taking that as a compliment. Thanks, PP!

    (*) Oops! I was going to explain about how digital camera shakes used to be done by mirroring instead of frame extension, and then realized that a footnote longer than my post would probably be a faux pas. Also, The nitty-gritty of FX usually puts people to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no problem with long footnotes around here!

    ReplyDelete