Wednesday 12 January 2022

Ponyfic Roundup 375

Read it Later story count: 96 (-3) 

The thoughts of a fanfic reviewer (hey, there's a series title! :P ) tend to include how many stories they can reasonably review each week. As I mentioned recently, I've decided that I can manage four most of the time, so from here on in that is the number I'll be trying to discuss each (normal) week. Happily, I haven't failed this on the first try! Four fics this time, which are:

Insecurities by Shachza
It Takes a Village by Baal Bunny
I AM Flawless by Silver Shadows
Not Alone in the Crowd by Doccular42

★: 1 | ★★: 0 | ★★★: 1 | ★★★★: 2 | ★★★★★: 0
Note: I use a skewed rating system. A fic I find average scores two stars.

Insecurities by Shachza
OCs
Drama/Slice of Life/Human; 11k words; Sep 2014; Teen

Sometimes, what a pony really needs is somepony else to reach out to them.

Starting off with an RCL inductee, often a good sign – and in this case, the author's comment that this is self-insertion doesn't stop it being very worthwhile. This fic starts with a date (kind of) between Fleur Lumineuse (Fleur-de-Lis and Fancy Pants' daughter) and a male pony who works at an airship station. There's a lot of backstory simmering beneath the surface, much of which is gently teased out as we go. More strikingly, though, this is a painfully acute picture of a socially anxious (at least) stallion suffering agonies regarding his love life, or lack of. Meanwhile, Fleur is a fascinating mixture: frequently irritating and actively off-putting with her self-absorption and lack of understanding, yet with flashes of genuine likeability. I think the story loses its way just slightly later on, in that things start to become really rather predictable – but for the first two-thirds or so, this is unbearably gripping, and indeed grippingly unbearable. If it had kept that up to the end, this could even have been a five, but it's still recommended. ★★★★

It Takes a Village by Baal Bunny
Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Starlight Glimmer, Sunburst and Trixie
Romance/Slice of Life; 6k words; Oct 2021; Teen (Sex)

Dash wants to help Rarity live out her romantic fantasy. But since Dash hasn't got a romantic bone in her body, she figures she'd better call in some experts...

This, on the other hoof, isn't anything to make you squirm or wince. It's just a really solid example of a really solid writer producing a really solid slice of Ponyville life. After some fun setting things up, Rainbow and the other three (who are a threesome here – yes, that kind of threesome) fake letters to Rarity from a secret admirer. What's so good about this story is that at heart it's very simple, but there are so many lovely little touches of background world-building that lift it well above the run-of-the-mill. Plus we even get a 2021 use of the word "foalish", something which really made me smile. (Admittedly I could have done without "Did I stutter?" but that's just me.) It all feels so effortless, a sure sign of how well the parts are put together. Another recommendation, but this time you can just kick back and enjoy the ride. ★★★★

I AM Flawless by Silver Shadows
Mane Six, Spike, CMCs, Wonderbolts and Starlight Glimmer
[no genre tag given]; 4k words; Nov 2017; Teen

Everypony besides Twilight listed something that they were flawed in, and it's not like Twilight to forget to say something. When the others realize this, how would they react?

An amusing premise based on the song from "Fame and Misfortune", and one which could have been a lot of fun had it been used to poke good-natured fun at the episode or something. There are flashes of this at times, with Rainbow's bluntness occasionally used to nice effect. Sadly this fic doesn't really make the most of its potential. For a start, it's ages before we even get to the confrontation with Twilight, with most of the fic spent with each of the other Bearers in turn. This includes some ill-advised 2011-style semi-meta fourth-wall Pinkie stuff, as well as "Sweetie Bell" [sic] more than once. Rarity's fainting couch from earlier seasons is also brought out again and again and again. Finally, there is an excruciating (and not in a good way either) error in the reworked "Flawless" lyrics that end the fic. One of those "top-end one-star" stories that could have been a solid mid-high two with just a little more care, attention and proof-reading. ★

Not Alone in the Crowd by Doccular42
Spike and Fluttershy
Slice of Life; 2k words; Jan 2016; Everyone

Usually, we feel alone when we're by ourselves. But sometimes, the loneliest place is in the middle of a crowd. Spike has to get away, and he needs somepony to talk with him so that he can get through the evening.

There's a big party at the Library to celebrate the end-S2 victory over the changelings, but Spike doesn't feel like staying. He retreats to another room, where presently he's joined by Fluttershy. The two of them talk things over. This is a quiet, gentle fic that suits its subject matter very well. Flutters is the ideal conversation partner for Spike here – as an aside, I wish they'd had more time together in the show – and this fic is appropriately warm-hearted and caring. I'm not especially keen on the way the very last line addresses the reader directly, although I can see why the author chose that approach, but it was still a satisfying read with a pleasantly judged tone. ★★★


Next time, I hope that the stories I review will include Butterscotch Cream's dark AU M/M romance What Meets the Eye.

7 comments:

  1. Re: I AM Flawless... I mean, okay, obviously I've not read it and given that review I'm unlikely to, so it's possible this is already dealt with in the story - but the song Flawless literally starts with Twilight pointing out she never claimed to be perfect and that her "mistakes are all written in ink", so that one rather feels like it was already holed below the waterline right at the concept stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair to it, the "mistakes are all written in ink" line is directly referenced by a character in the fic. Without getting too spoilery, the point is that Twilight left it at that and didn't actually specify any of them.

      Delete
  2. I've read the first two, even had the opportunity to help the author refine his story on that first one. Yes, they're both quite enjoyable reads, and both authors I've gotten to meet in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this rate, if you can sustain the 4-per-week rate, a sub-90 RiL list is looking possible quite soon!

    I'd only read It Takes a Village before today, and while I don't know I'd consider it a ★★★★, it's definitely a high ★★★ from me. Not much to add, it just comes together really naturally, and I suspect it's mostly that it features many late-show elements I don't personally like that is restricting it from the same rating as yourself. I do let such things not affect my judgment of fics more then marginally – here, marginally just means inching down a tier. But make no mistake, it's a winner of characterisation, and subtle implications, the kind of fic you can read and be relaxed, but still rewarded for engaging with it.

    I have wondered why AugieDog has an alternate account that he publishes all manner of stories and which he clearly believes in as much as those on his main account. Always struck me as curious and a little odd. Probably showing my fandom age by not knowing that!

    Admittedly I could have done without "Did I stutter?" but that's just me.
    Is this an old fandom phrase? Or more of a personal reason for not liking that line getting used in fiction?

    As for the rest: geez, that Flawless fic look excruciating. Read that Spike one as a result of this, and a mid-to-low ★★★ is about right. I too appreciate a good Spike/Fluttershy friendship (or, indeed, him with ANY of the Mane 6 beyond Twilight and Rarity, who he rarely directly interacts with), though Fluttershy seemed a bit too confident and sure of herself for just after S2 – she read much closer to how she was in "Sparkle's Seven", maybe about S7-levels.

    And consider Insecurities on my own RiL list! Lots of red flags against it (not just being a self insert, but being about an OC child of canon characters). But the endorsement of both the RCL and yourself is enough for me to take the plunge with it soon. Looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered why AugieDog has an alternate account

      I think, though others can correct me if I'm wrong, that he uses one exclusively for his Write-Off stories. I don't know anyone else who splits things that way, but there may well be someone.

      Is this an old fandom phrase?

      It's a meme. I'm not 100% sure of the origin, but to me at least it's so memey that it briefly took me out of the story. As if the relevant character (Dash in this case) had said, "U mad bro?" or something.

      that Flawless fic look excruciating

      I've read a lot worse. Although I didn't say so, it was Silver Shadows' first completed published fic. I can't recall reading anything else by them, though, so I can't say whether or not they smoothed things out after a while.

      Delete
  4. I'm in the midst of assembling a fanfic list for EQD's Spike/Dragon Day and your positive review of "Not Alone in the Crowd" arrived just in time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete