Sunday 2 December 2018

Sounds of 2011: The Return!

Because of the Pony Music Library post a few days ago, I didn't want to overdo the musical stuff, but I think it's time to get back into the groove with Sounds of 2011.

( Video not available – see below)

This song by MandoPony is a slightly awkward one to feature. As far as I can tell, "With a Sister" in its original form doesn't exist anywhere on YouTube. However, the song is still publicly available on MandoPony's Bandcamp (where you can buy it in HQ for 50 cents) and as such I'm perfectly comfortable with including it here. It's an uptempo country song clearly inspired by "Sisterhooves Social", and it features Applejack explaining to Rarity just why having a sister is so great. In 2013, the artist released this acoustic version ($1 on Bandcamp).


Another of the greats of the early fandom now. I'm not good at describing this type of track, but Archie's instrumental is clearly aimed at the club scene, like most of his other productions. Archie was one of the first brony musicians to cause a stir by deleting Pony tracks after going professional, but many are now available again. There's a vaguely Eastern sound to this, but otherwise it's not one that really sticks in my head. The version above doesn't seem to be available in HQ, but a longer Club Mix can be obtained on a name-your-price basis on Archie's Bandcamp.


Jeffthestrider wasn't a name I knew much about until recently, perhaps unsurprisingly given his last YouTube upload was in 2014, but in his day he was very popular – this track has over a million views. It's an unusual fusion of orchestral, electronic and percussion, and barring a few awkward moments I think it works pretty well. I could actually see Octavia duetting with Vinyl on this one – depending on how much fighting they had to do at the time! There's a Mediafire link for a 320k download in the video description.

Next time, we'll be bringing in another very famous name, though again it'll be someone who's no longer making Pony music.

4 comments:

  1. I recognise ‘No Strings Attached’; I must have heard it a few years back. Not to be confused with Octavia’s ‘Fighting is Magic’ theme, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I hadn't, really. Or if I did, why I didn't remember it. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. "With a Sister" is a Mando classic. :) I think "Magic Is Timeless" might be hands up, in terms of genre? I sometimes wonder if I suffered a stroke or something in 2015, because I used to know electronica genres inside and out, and then suddenly I had a hard time getting beyond "durr, it's techno". :B

    ...And for some reason, the hands up wikipedia article is in German. <.< I guess it's not hands up. See what I mean? D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be included in Eurodance as far as English Wikipedia goes. Maybe I can just call the genre "Archie", then everyone will know what I mean. :P

      Delete