Sunday 21 January 2018

It feels so good to be writing regularly again

It really is working. Chapter 2 of The Danger Within was published yesterday, making this only the second time on Fimfiction (after Where They Understand You) that I've managed a multi-chapter prose piece. As I've said before, the way I'm writing it and the speed I'm publishing at mean it's not going to be any kind of masterpiece, but the simple fact of being able to get at least some words down every day is reward enough for me. If readers enjoy it, and so far at least a few seem to have done, then that's a bonus.

I do, as it happens, have a one-shot taking shape in my mind, and The Danger Within is making it more likely that said one-shot will actually appear eventually. This is a story inspired by "A Health of Information", in particular the part of it dealing with how swamp fever works. I originally wanted to call it Fever Dreams, but as The Descendant has an anthology with that title I'm now using the working title All Set About with Fever-trees, from Kipling's The Elephant's Child. It may well be called something else again by the time it's actually published.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious; do you tend to write in silence, or do you listen to music or anything else while you're working on something creative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't have music on while I'm actually writing, though I might do when I'm reading through what I've come up with. I like to have as few distractions as possible, so it's a case of the PC fan and the ticking of the clock and very little else.

      Delete