Monday 6 November 2017

UK PonyCon 2017 report, part 6: Final reflections

I don't need any extra encouragement to ramble, but here goes anyway. This sixth and last part of my UK PonyCon thoughts is a general look back at a few aspects of the con that I perhaps didn't give much space to in my previous report posts. Some of this is stuff that I included in my official feedback form – I hope you returned that if you were at the convention – but some is new. Page break time!

It was, as I've said, an excellent con all round, my favourite of my six. The venue, although not quite ideally located, was very good indeed inside, easily the most spacious UKPC venue I've experienced. Sensibly heated, well laid out, a decent café and a welcoming feel. When it was announced I thought it might lack atmosphere, but the people there made the atmosphere.

Problems were few and far between – partly because of the responsiveness and willingness to engage of the con staff before the event began. For example, the initial list of accepted IDs was considerably too restrictive for this particular convention, but what they ended up with was much more appropriate. The late addition of changing rooms was a great boon for cosplayers and suiters, too.

Like a number of people, I find the fact that UK PonyCon is a Pony convention, not a brony convention, important and integral to the event's identity. Inevitably G4 is the most popular single generation now, but keeping plenty of space for the earlier gens matters and I think the con generally does a good job. It'll be fascinating to see G5's effect down the line, if UKPC still happens by then.

This was by some distance the largest number of vendors I've seen at a UK PonyCon, perhaps any British Pony convention ever; I'm unsure of BUCK vendor numbers. This was definitely one of the highlights of the weekend, as with Forbidden Planet pretty much giving up on Pony there are precious few opportunities to buy non-kid-focused MLP merchandise in person these days.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, an unsolicited comment from a fellow attendee was "Everyone was so friendly!" and that's just how this convention should be. It's one of the reasons I think a 2,000-attendee UKPC would probably be a bad idea, even if logistics and finances allowed for it. I do think it's sad that on-the-door sales are gone – that surely hits young families most – but it's unavoidable now.

One of the questions on the feedback sheet asked about next year's pricing. This is always a fraught issue – there's surely a temptation to add "just a few pounds more" to provide a better experience, yet UK PonyCon's accessibility and affordability are crucial parts of what makes it so nice. By the final BUCK, a weekend ticket cost £99. That would be a completely ludicrous price for UKPC.

Non-discounted Standard admission this year was £35. Let's say that increases by 10% next year to £38.50. That's not unreasonable... yet in these times of almost non-existent wage increases even 10% a year is not sustainable over a long period; by 2025 you'd end up with a ticket costing over £75. Whether UKPC will exist by 2025, who knows, but it surely can't charge £75 if it does.

Unlike in at least some previous feedback forms, there was no question asking about next year's host city. Personally, I don't have strong feelings. I very much wanted the west to get a go, and that box is now ticked. Realistically the need to make the con accessible from most places rules out some parts of the UK, but otherwise most options would have pros and cons similar to Bristol's.

So, what about UK PonyCon 2018? Well, I'd very much like to go again, but I certainly can't commit to anything until we learn exactly where and when it will be held, which I'd imagine will be in the spring. It's tempting just to say, "Same again, please!" and in general terms I'd be very happy with that, but I'm sure there'll be some tweaks. 2017 will be a hard act to follow, though!

Assuming that UKPC takes place next year, it will be its 15th iteration. That's a pretty good record of continuous existence for any convention, especially one focusing on a single fandom. It's changed quite a bit even since I've been going, but it's retained that essential friendliness. So, I'll end with a big thank you to everyone who's helped get UK PonyCon to where it is today. You're absolute stars!

4 comments:

  1. Yep, can't argue with any of this. How boring! :P

    I've yet to complete the feedback form; it doesn't really seem suited to volunteers (e.g "How was your registration experience?").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd actually rather assumed there was some sort of staff feedback form. Maybe you could suggest it on the... oh. :P

      Anyway, you did have a registration experience. I saw you experiencing it. Just from the other side of the desk. ;)

      Delete
    2. Haha. Maybe I should put "It was all going fine, 'till this guy called Logan showed up". ;)

      Delete
    3. I think I already put that in my own feedback. ;)

      Delete