Sunday, 9 August 2026

My Little Repeats 207: "She's All Yak"

Spike, you're getting very big-headed

S9E07: "She's All Yak"

11 May 2019

My original rating: ★★

IMDb score: 7.0

The one with sprouts

Thoughts: Looking back, people had very mixed reactions to this episode, but I came down on the more negative side and still do. The YonaBar (friend)ship comes out of nowhere, but it's fine in itself, while the American pronunciation of "fete" merely needs getting used to. A bigger problem is that the whole "fitting right in" thing involves a yak being told she needs to be more, well, pony despite the whole point of the renamed Amity Ball being to include other creatures. This is pretty uncomfortable stuff, all the more for this show, and Rarity written as supporting it is deeply disappointing. It's a relief that the moral returns to not trying to be something you aren't. The song is rather dull and uninteresting to the extent I've already forgotten it again. A few amusing moments, such as Spike's DJ act, but very predictable stuff and I can't see a reason to change the two-star rating.

Choice quote: Rarity: "By Celestia, I think she's got it."

New rating: 

Next up will be "Frenemies"! This episode was widely seen as a highlight of S9 back in 2019, but will it hold up now that we know how the storyline ends? We'll see!

3 comments:

  1. yeah, this was just a tone-deaf bad decision on pretty much every part

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably still in the minority here, but I think this was a solid effort involving Yona, even if the message about being yourself is extremely overdone. Even in this show, where the previous episode taught exactly the same message. Yes, it's a good lesson to teach, but the more it's utilized, the less meaningful it becomes.

    That being said, it's a shame that it's the final episode in which any members of the Young Six are major players; they deserved far more instead of just being shoved aside into supporting roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this one unnoteworthy. And yes, it's yet another uncomfortable "you need to be more pony" message that goes way back, like all the students dressing up as ponies in the play. I doubt I watched this one again after the premiere.

    ReplyDelete